Using Audiophilleo/Pure Power w Nova

Yes, more likely me than either the AP or Roon!

But yes I can see that regarding Roon, like other companies, trying to maximise their place in the market. Sometimes (always?) to the detriment of the actual people that matter most, the consumer.

I had a late night comparing using the AP, iPeng vs Roon Experimental, and my ears are now telling me different things. Sometimes very different.

It’s clear that iPeng with no Roon in sight is a very different and altogether more cohesive listening experience. That is contrary to my initial findings but it’s revealing itself to absolutely be the case. Just need some time to get used to the woeful interface now!

But Roon Experimental has actually worked fine for me, perhaps surprisingly, based on what others have said about AP use with Roon integration.

I’ll give each mode - iPeng and Roon Experimental - a few days each now, instead of this micro A/B testing.

1 Like

The Innuos delivers the SQ. Like Naim they tune their software to get the best SQ. Undoubtedly they are learning.

iPeng is just a way of controlling the Logitech Media Server that runs on the Innuos. If you delve into LMS you should be able to customise it more to your liking as it gives you the ability to create your own views of your library. For me artist, major groupings like classical, and album art help find what I want.

Increasingly, I find that Qobuz allows me to be more experimental in my music choices. I don’t know how mood could be taken into account, although Genre may apply such as ‘loud and noisy’ or contemplative!

In terms of this thread, the interest is what the AP brings compared the Network interface.

Phil

1 Like

I wonder if Kazoo can work too, as an alternative to Ipeng.

Nice to see the raw AP/PP/Innuos without Roon is working, for me it gives an instant smile, to me it is very organic.

If on Rooney weren’t so pigheaded, that said I tend to use iPeng from my iPad locks reen which is a BIG plus for quick changes or track album info, again the Roon pre Madonnas have been asked for that suggestion for a long while.

As I said before if the Innuos app delivers, happy days.

Oh I find with the Innuos my listening is exclusively Qobuz purely for SQ.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I’m not quite sure how to access LMS on Innuos but it would be great to be able to tidy up my FLAC library. Not just the missing info and album covers but the super annoying duplication of older ALAC coded albums merging with my recent FLAC versions.

I have quite a large library of “multi genre” ripped albums, many of them in different editions and sometimes different mixes & masters. In iPeng they all often seem bunched together indiscriminately. Whereas Roon did a good, though not faultless, job of allowing to browse and distinguish between them based on the visual artwork specific to that release or at least by tapping on the album icon and finding the idents needed.

FR,

Is Kazoo a Linn only app or could it work with Naim kit?

Obsydian,

Yes, I’m really pleased the AP meets Nova configuration is yielding good results, so far. And yes, roll on a decent Innuos app.

As for Qobuz, yes I agree, it’s such a fantastic portal for expanding my listening experiences, and in such often excellent sound quality too.

1 Like

@obsydian should answer if you can use another app. I am quite sure that you can use Mconnect, and think to remember that Kazoo is also possible.
You can try to download Kazoo and see if it recognizes your Innuos.
Mconnect hd is around 10 euros .
Orange Squeez for Android too.

His @frenchrooster i started with Orange Squeeze with an Android tablet, it was awful, made iPeng look good

1 Like

Isn’t MConnect a upnp application? That wouldn’t bring the AP into play when it’s sitting between server and Nova, would it?

Are there any other app bar Orange Squeeze that can do what iPeng can do in this regard?

Or are we going to await the Innuos app for such a purpose?

It sounds as though you have a complex library that you imported or attached to. I think you should get to know Innuos and find what works best. I’m sure Innuos support will give you lots of help.

LMS won’t help until the you sort the music database out. However, as I said it is on port 9000 of the Innuos box. Like 192.168.1.xyz:9000

Have you actually looked at the Music Library and the tags. If your music is somewhat esoteric the artwork may not easily be found. You need to understand how to edit and add artwork. I found Innuos very good even on classical.

Roon , I have to admit, is very good at curation, particularly multiple versions. Innuos should import your FLAC files reliably, even the artwork.

A new thread might be appropriate now.

Phil

Yes, I really do need to get a deeper knowledge of my way around Innuos.

I have emailed support and outlined much of what I’ve posted here.

The rescanning of my music library did improve things in iPeng but only partially.

I can’t respond technically but maybe a try of Mconnect would be interesting. You have Mconnect ( non hd) app for free.

It was worth trying - though MConnect is a upnp app and doesn’t utilise the Audiophilleo - but it’s not as good as iPeng which uses the AP as a bridge between Innuos USB and Nova’s BNC.

Still missing Roon’s interface, but iPeng takes it away sonically with Qobuz and stored files.

And with a large library of both stored FLAC and Qobuz I’m finding it hard to efficiently and pleasurably navigate my music.
Feels like the uptick in SQ comes with a penalty!

1 Like

I don’t understand why audiophileo is not used in the case of Mconnect, because the Audiophileo is just a cable between transport and dac.
With my Nds I can use Mconnect. Curious.

I might be wrong, as tech isn’t my forte, but when MConnect accesses my server it sends it to the Naim but not via BNC (the only input on my Nova where the AP is in play).

I wrote that because I didn’t understand why audiophileo won’t work in the case of Mconnect app. I was not diminishing the audiophileo strengths.

Even if you choose Innuos as the server on the app?
I have no responses for that unfortunately. As you said you have the choice between better sound or better functionality for now. Waiting the Innuos app event.

Its not a UPnP renderer as it has its own server/player built in which is Logitech Media Server. It can be a UPnP server only so wont use the usb out and to the Audiophilleo in server mode as the Nova is the renderer and it would go over the network as upnp does.

1 Like

Things @Charles64 has said suggest there are issues such as no artwork that need sorting. Whether the import went wrong needs sorting with Innuos. Once the database is sorted the underlying Logitech Media Server is ok. It allows music to be found by artist, album, composer, genre, year and customise additional views. How effective these work depends on metadata. Issues such as consistent naming of people does matter, and at present the fuzzy search is not there so. Roon is so much better.

Phil

1 Like

I have never investigated using uPnP together with iPeng usb. I have the impression that my tv media player can see the music without enabling UPnP. Not sure what uPnP brings to the party. Innuos offers uPnP, Sonos and Roon. Roon most definitely means that Logitech Media Server cannot run and vica versa.

Phil

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.