Using Sony PS1 as a CD player

The best game for ps1. Though I was rubbish at it.
Does your tv have a scart socket? :wink:

Sorry Robert, no TV in my listening room.
Not really a gamer I’m afraid.:man_shrugging:t2:
I have a PS5 in the Media Room, but can honestly say I’ve used it 3 times since my wife gave it to me for my birthday in January.:face_with_diagonal_mouth:
This PS1 is only ever going to be used as a CD player :blush:

Looks in decent nick, really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it

1 Like

It is and so am I. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve looking at all the boxes under the tree in excited expectation of joys to come when the boxes are unwrapped🤣

I’m the same with new kit, it’s almost a shame I’m happy with my set ups so no upgrades on the horizon

The final bits of the solution have arrived😁

It’s time to see if this little exercise has been worth it.
Of course, my dilemma now is which CD to play first…:scream:

1 Like

Went with Rush - Clockwork Angels
WOW! Worked first time and sounds pretty decent😊

This is going to take some playing with…:thinking:
First impressions running the same track on both PS1 CD & LP12 Record, it’s no contest. The LP12 kicks its butt!
However, it’s very good. The bass is definitely thinner, but the detail seems to be there. The device itself has obviously got no ‘run-in’ time to worry about and has been in situ for 2 days, so fully acclimatised.
How long does it take to run in a cable I wonder, as that is the only element that is new…:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

A nice lookish alikish replacement for the CD555!

I am properly impressed by this.
£85 worth of bits from eBay and sounding pretty darn good, even through a totally green cable😁

1 Like

Sshhhhh, say it too loud and we’ll all be struck by emperor’s new clothes syndrome about our current systems :wink:

And so loosing your faith in the Naim starts to end. It goes only downhill, faster and faster and there is no way back. You’ll end up with a Sonos in the end.

I already have Sonos throughout the house, but not in here.
Don’t worry @Ardbeg10y, a proper HiFi solution will be sort as the system upgrades happen later this year. It was worth the small amount of money to resolve the ‘I need a CD player’ issue.
Normal service will be resumed with a ridiculously expensive CDT in the fullness of time😂
Edit although, I’m now wondering what it might sound like through a half decent DAC :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

Thoroughly approve of your album choice :+1: … and love that you have it sitting on a fraim shelf! :joy:

1 Like

Maybe you won’t need to upgrade….

3 Likes

Maybe… :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

This is brilliant fun and exactly what man in the shed tinkering is all about!! I am looking forward to reading about how this betters the CDS2 and gets close to CDS3!! Lol

Back in my younger days my first CD player was the Aiwa XC700 which was another utterly brilliant bargain. The DAC was made in the old Millard factory which was then owned by Phillips and was the SAA7350which was considered a premium DAC in its day. It had a center mounted transport for vibration isolation and was attractive.

I think I paid about £99 for it in a half price reduction from Richer Sounds! Peanuts back then because decent cd players were still £400+

I thought it would still be in my loft as I don’t recall selling it but a recent foray up there revealed no trace of it - weird!

Enjoy the PS1 - you may start a new trend yet!!

JonathanG

3 Likes

If I do decide to keep it going forward, it will probably need a better cable and a “Cosmetic Makeover”!
It is a flipping “Fugly” thing😂
A second level DAC almost certainly wouldn’t be out of the question either :thinking::face_with_peeking_eye:

@knaithrover
Is the picture below the same as the R/C you use?
2 parts, one goes in the controller port and the other is the R/C itself?

I’ve looked again at you pictures and it looks like the receiver end has been reduced to the skeletal component and encased in the housing🤔

1 Like

Hi

Yes that’s it and I’m assuming what you say about the receiver is correct

2 Likes

Doesn’t another dac kind of defeat the object of utilising the over engineered dac in the PS1?

2 Likes