Valve Amps and other Myths

Not so much amps, I have used a DAC with a tube analogue output ( my first actual hi fi DAC, a CAL Sigma)

Replaced the defunct 12AX7 & fired right up.

No complaints… every bit as good as the Rega I’m using now, just not as many inputs.

I have a valve audio amp in one of my systems… many valve amp designs add colour and harmonic distortions in operation which we find attractive to listen to… it can ‘beautify’ a sound consequently, albeit at the expense of out and out detail or accuracy.
I also use valve technology for non audio use elsewhere where their robustness over semiconductors is advantageous.

My biggest issue with valves for quality audio use is that they are typically very microphonic and also notoriously sensitive to RFI. (Which is why often the valves themselves need to be carefully screened)

Indeed. Similar to how a stylus picks up the sound of you tapping on the lid of a turntable and plays that back through the speakers, valves, if tapped produce an audible effect on the playback. Not an amplified tap sound as such because it isn’t the same type of interaction, but you hear something.

If often wondered whether a ferrous cage on the tube section acts as a sort of faraday cage or not. Apparently tubes sound better and last longer without them, but it hasn’t stopped me wondering.

Can I encourage you to stay?… I have also reduced my Naim footprint, but I still find this usually a good place to chat about stuff. I enjoy, and yes, occasionally get antagonised, by your contributions, which is all part of the experience and colour of this place.

4 Likes

I expect to be moving to valves in the next year of so.

1 Like

Please don’t go sweetie. We will miss you, your dry English humour, your hi-fi knowledge and your endless capacity for finding obscure stuff on the internet.

2 Likes

I’m 100% headphone user so for me it’s my main system so I don’t mind paying out the extra for Feliks Envy. If it was only for occasional use I’d be going towards the other end of the scale.

Just be aware though that a lot of the cheaper tube headphone amps will have that traditional warm sound. Apparently that comes from pushing the tubes too far. It’s basically distortion. The high end amps tend to be a lot more neutral, even transparent in tone with superb mids, textures, plenty of air and excellent imaging and layering. The tubes used will obviously change characteristics of the amount as well.

Cost of tubes is another consideration. The Feliks Envy Driver Tubes are 6SN7 and range from £50-£200 a pair but the Power Tubes it uses are 300b and a good quality pair will range from £300 - £2500 or more. Lifespan can be from 2-3k hours right up to 40k hours.

The warmer sound of the cheaper amps though can be nice for a change and compliment a SS amp depending on what you listen too.

Because it’s by far the best forum. Sure it can be insular it times. Outside of Naim the interest in things not Chord, Rega, or Linn seems to fade pretty fast. But no other forum is as carefully curated. On other forums you get a sense that there are very few, shall we say, adults in the room.

Plenty of us have non Naim systems. Heck, even our moderator has admitted to owning a simply staggering amount of hifi that I’m sure his Naim gear is in the minority (even if the most used).

6 Likes

My taste in music usually singer/singer writer, rock, pop, alt country. However as I’m getting old I find I’m listening to a lot people I wouldn’t (or didn’t) when I was younger. I like the idea of a valve headphone amp, I’d like something simple although I realise the tubes are fussy and expensive. I live in a rural town in NSW, getting stuff like that in the post undamaged would be low. It’d be more likely having to drive 7 hour to the big smoke to pick them up.

1 Like

I know that feeling… Mrs A-Fin says my music went into crisis after 50… anything from hard techno to classical :rofl:

There are plenty of good tube amps out there that don’t cost the earth and the tubes they use are more readily available at sensible prices.

For me, the tube amp is my LP12. My day system revolves around the Atom HE / Meze Elite which are amazing and from there I can add additional amplifiers. The Atom HE has a special sound of it’s own and the streamer user interface makes it the best source. Prefer it over the Chord DACs etc.

2 Likes

I do love the comparison with LP12 and I agree.

I’ll do some research.

Thanks for all who encourage me to stay. I will try to honour you. The forum is a nice place.

13 Likes

If you don’t I’ll come and find you :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do love the South of France. :grin:

1 Like

This year I will be in the Pays Basque. You can find me in St Jean Pied de Port this July. :grin:

1 Like

I’m coming around this time next year.

1 Like

For a moment, I thought you were promoting a gig… For one night only, performing at the St Jean Pied… Freeeeeeeeennnnnch Rooster!

3 Likes

The “Naim sound” suggests a sound balance which is recognisably Naim, some kind of EQ shaping, artefact or colouration. I don’t think I’ve heard any such thing. Maybe what you call the Naim Sound, I call timing, realism, musical communication and grip?

More outlay doesn’t get you more of the same. Some people baulk at the idea of doubling the cost of an amp or source by adding an externals PS - until they hear the result.

I suggested nothing of the sort and you are preaching to the converted Harry. Happy listening!

Three cheers to our French sweetie :+1:

2 Likes

And to you.