Very thick walking socks -- any reco's?

I’m struggling to find really thick walking socks – many I’ve found aren’t as thick as the descriptions make out, and there seems to be a trend (?) towards thinner material, often treated for hygiene reasons.

Can anyone help me to find what I’m after (in the UK)?

Layers are your friend. The very thickest socks rapidly flatten out during use. Liners also tend to prevent blisters etc.

I like SmartWool or Bridgedale brands, all easy to find, with a thin merino or synthetic liner.

I have a feeling SmartWool last longest. I wear them most days at home!

Bruce

7 Likes

Maybe not as thick as you’re looking for, but very comfortable, supportive and durable.

1 Like

Hmm… how thick is thick? I’ve found that the really very thick ones are so cushioned that they allow my feet to slide arounds a little in the boot and cause other problems (apart from feeling awkward every time a foot impacts the ground).
I’ve been using the thicker Rohan socks lately, which I’m pleased with; they wash well, keep their pile and seem to be durable. A pair of thin liner socks underneath (e.g. Bridgedale or Rohan) for colder weather or very long hikes.

2 Likes

Have a gander at the Garden4less website. Lots of thick welly boot socks there.

Or have a look at Hunter’s or Le Chameau’s own websites, which will have their (more expensive) welly socks.

Good luck!

2 Likes

As mentioned above a +1 here for SmartWool for running/walking - very comfortable and hard wearing. Not cheapest but highly recommend.

1 Like

Another recommendation for Thorlo walking socks. Their wicking liner socks are excellent too. Also like Bridgedale, but they don’t seem to keep their shape as well as Thorlo after a season through the wash cycle.

1 Like

I used to use the thick coarse woollen socks for both walking boots and wellingtons. For skiing I preferred Rohner socks; I still use them in both walking boots and wellies. Recently, I have moved on to Merino mix socks that are thinner but warmer and hard wearing.

May I ask why you want thick socks? Is it for warmth or for a cosy fit in your boots? I have to say I still wear the old fashioned thick wool socks around the house.

1 Like

I have a pair of thick socks but they only come out when it’s really cold (-10C or below) and only for short (less than 2hrs) hikes as I don’t like the way they feel in my boots. More of a cold dog walk than a proper hike. They are from Bridgedale and are a decent enough mid range sock; not very technical and thick all over - about as thick as I could imaging anyone wanting for walking.

I prefer thiner socks with cushioning in key areas, rather than being thick/cushioned all over… These work for 3+ seasons, a full 4 if winter walking isn’t in extreme cold. They can be a little warm around the toes in summer and I might use a summer sock on the hottest of days but I do like some cushioning so don’t use minimalist, super-lightweight socks.

1 Like

Smartwool here too.

1 Like

Hi @Camphuw,

Sadly, I have some bilateral foot neuropathy (it’s long story) and I find thicker socks with supportive walking shoes the most comfortable solution at this time. And I often double-up even thicker socks. I find thin socks very uncomfortable.

I also like the extra warmth thicker socks offer and, like you, prefer them around the house.

2 Likes

I understand about the need for support. In my case I went for orthopaedic footbeds. I was getting nerves trapped above the foot arch that was exasperated by having socks that had looped stitches. Hence my move to thinner socks. I have found merino socks from icebreaker, a NZ company, have the support I like around the foot arch.

1 Like

Another vote for Bridgedale. In January I was in -20c and along with my Arctic Muck Boots my feet were fine. Taking my gloves off to manipulate my camera was another matter!

1 Like

It’s a bit of a bu&&er to be honest, as my feet react badly to better quality shoes/boots which need to be broken-in, and many of the walking boots which are really grandiose training shoes with extra support, are fine from the outset and can be broken-in easily, but when the support subsides a tad after a few months, I have to move on.

1 Like

+1 for Bridgedale. Worn with a thinner liner sock if necessary. I have orthotics in my walking boots, the bigger walking shops will do a fitting. I can’t walk in wellies.

1 Like

Current walking shoes are Lowa which I wear to volunteer at a nature reserve, rough wet ground, but not hilly. Modern quality boots or shoes shouldn’t need to be broken in (in my view). Scarpa, I wore for years and Lowa Tibet offer ankle support for the hills. The big warehouses like Go Outdoors or Cotswold will let you walk inside to try and do a fitting. Go in the afternoon and take a loaded backpack. But different boots and socks suit different people.

2 Likes

Another + for the bridgedale heavy weight.

I use Bridgedale and Smartwool merino. Both excellent and thick (depending on what you class as thick).

2 Likes

Darn Tough are the best I have come across in working as a geologist for more than 40 years. They have a wide range to choose from. Having said that I think I still have some Thorlo socks that I bought more than 30 years ago! I wonder if the quality is as good today?

2 Likes

I have Smartwool and Darn Tough socks. I started with Smartwool years ago but now 100% of my socks are Darn Tough from Vermont. Just purchased four pairs on line. I do love their warmth and comfort and worth the extra cost over other brands. All there socks are guaranteed for life. They have a large selection to meet most needs. There online store can easily be found for company information, store locations and on-line sales.

3 Likes