Vibration Isolation / Support for Glass

Looks an interesting design - glad it works for you.

Can you put a patent on it ?

Yes, but I don’t think it would be considered to have sufficient originality for the patent to be defensible.

As FR has pointed out there are already systems (e.g. Stillpoints and Finite Elemente Cerabase amongst others) that use similar principles for the same purpose; indeed I was inspired by these systems when I worked out the principles for myself.

The only real advantage to my system is that each set of 3 cost me less than £5 to make, instead of about £170 to £500 to buy them!

@Xanthe, might these be better as a replacement for Naim balls (10mm) on Naim cups used with a turntable where I want to explore better isolation?

BTW the best price so far is £35.56 for 10 pack grade 5.

Many Thanks

Phil

Yes they may* work better than Naim mild steel balls - there’s no guarantee of this when used with Naim cups; but the system I have uses a different principle.
The Naim cup uses a 3 point contact at the base, my system is single point contact at both the lower and upper interfaces.

* They may also be less effective than the Naim mild steel balls when used with Naim cups.

The balls I used are grade 5, 1/4" diameter, so are a lot cheaper.

1 Like

But that triangular structure is going to vibrate like a trampoline.

That’s why it is so light (0.33g), made from a self damping material (polylactyllactate) and only makes very slight contact with the ball. It makes more contact with the brass, but then the brass isn’t decoupled from the shelf on which it rests, so that’s subject to vibration anyway.

0.33g? That’s 4 coffee beans.

The ball sits on a surface that just has a depression, instead of a triangular contact. The ball will vibrate on the surface.

Not being awkward, but I just think it’s a flawed design throughout.

0.33g results only 1.5% of the energy storage of the suspension system system being within the ‘cage’, in respect of the entire vibrational system it’s less than 0.005% of the energy storage.

In terms of the ball vibrating, in response to external stimulation, yes; but the ball is also very light (0.51g), so the energy storage contribution of that is 0.007% of the entire system. The advantage is that by allowing the ball to move horizontally, less of the horizontal vibrational energy (only about 15% transfer even with 100% allowance for frictional and geometric inefficiency) can be transferred to the glass resting on top of the ball

1 Like

So the depression presumably has a larger radius than the ball, so that it sits on a single point, with lateral movement in any direction being slightly uphill?

Correct.
That’s also why the depression has to have a very smooth surface.

@Xanthe

You’re isolation system looks promising!
I might try something similar for ma glass shelves.

Is high speed laser interferometer really necessary to make the measurements (which is terribly expensive toy)? Couldn’t we use a Fluke Vibration Meter or some kind of dedicated tool based on an accelerometer?

What frequency range are we considering?

It’s quite an interesting mechanical problem to play with :smiley: reminds me my university years, a long time ago :smiley:

I tried some finite elemente cerapucks under naim components but don’t like the effect. The sound was a bit clinical, or leaner also.
However under the fraimlite it works very good.
Must be interesting to replace the naim balls with these ceramic balls, but 100% sure it will be preferred.
You will tell us probably.

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

I designed these specifically to go directly under a toughened glass plate and for the HiFi component to sit on top of the glass, in the same manner as with a ‘full fat’ Naim Fraim. The glass plate is an integral part of this vibration control design. Using my design as ‘feet’ under an audio component wouldn’t work well.

I don’t have a Fraim so I can’t compare results; however, as detailed earlier, they are a significant improvement on the dome nuts I used previously.

1 Like

Oh my Sweatie, thanks to point my confusion. I didn’t know that silicon nitride is also ceramic.
Very important point from you. You are so useful here !

@Xanthe, I’ve often wondered how Fraim works. Jason on a factory visit suggested speakers were the main issue. These can be airborne or through the floor. For airborne the black box has responses across the frequency spectrum. For the floor the rack has the potential to transmit in accordance with its own vibrational modes which are probably low frequency. NAC552, ND555, NDS and SuperLine have suspension that operates mostly at low frequencies. Vibration itself is only an issue to the extent it couples with electric currents or magnetic fields to essential create noise.

Equally, electromagnetism will produce mechanical vibrations.

What’s your understanding of where in the spectrum the effects are most pronounced?

Phil

Yup!

I was of course sarcastic…

I’ve looked again at your thread, your pics and your answers. The design is flawed, your objective is flawed and your percentages are ridiculous. The only thing I possibly like is the silicon nitride ball.

Just my opinion, but I feel it has to be said, so you can listen to me and start again.