Vintage NAIM NAC/NAP

Probably tomorrow i will grab a recapped HiCap. So far I am very satisfied with my 62/140 boxes.

Question about the placement of Hicap, NAP, and NAC boxes: Is there anything important I should know about their placement? I’m planning to place each box next to the others. What do you think?

Do Not stack them on each other.

If they were going on shelves, the order should be (top to bottom) -

NAC
NAP
HiCap

Side by side should be fine. Just don’t stick the pre-amp in the middle…

6 Likes

Thank you.

Is there a recommended order to turn them on?

3 Likes

Done. I’ve just hooked up the HiCap, and yes, I think there’s an improvement. There’s a better soundstage, improved bass handling, and more airiness. But why? What’s the magic behind it? Can anyone here provide a technical explanation please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have to agree with others here Whatsinanaim that’s a beautiful system and looks wonderful on those utterly classic Sound Org supports!!

I still have my SO21 turntable table, their stuff is just so beautifully designed and made I think you have to go a heck of a long way to better it sonically and visually.

Wonder what happened to them? Such a shame they aren’t still around. I seem to recall my two shelf was just £55 back in the early 1990s!!

I still use it for visiting review equipment - there’s not much it can’t accommodate with aplomb!

JonathanG

4 Likes

Agree on SO racks and TT stand - sadly, my wife didn’t so I went through a couple of makes before she surprised me by really liking Fraim.

Still have my Sound Org TT stand up in the loft.

One day…perhaps…

1 Like

Now I have finally seen the king system of the Naim Forum. Absolutely incredible. Well done!

1 Like

Sound Org (Hamish) relocated from London to York in the late ‘80s, but I don’t think they make the racks & tables anymore.

Our SO TT table is currently in use for my wife’s hifi in her craft room - I made another shelf for it.
However the wall mount shelf (to put the Sondek out of reach of toddlers) rusted up and was sent to the tip.

1 Like

Goodness, I hope that no Sondeks were harmed in the process!

Thankfully, it was out of reach of the youngsters.

But then we got the kitties………they could jump much higher. So I had to rearrange the shelving, adding an extra level above the Sondek to accommodate a removable “cover”. The Briks also had to have hardboard covers to protect the upwards facing speakers.

And the worst culprit was a chocolate tortie Burmese named Suzy Wong. The Sondek did bounce nicely though.

1 Like

That puts me in mind of Nipper, the HMV dog who used to appear in that company’s advertising!

I am very happy right now with my 62/140/HiCap setup.

I currently have an “interesting” speaker cable connected to it. ca. 3.5m long CableTalk 3.1, bought on ebay. When assembling it with NAIM plugs, I saw that it is a 3.1S version. The cable has additional silver plating on the copper conductors. It all sounds very good to my ears.
I tend to be very conservative and cautious when it comes to cable sound. But I’m getting a Linn K20 for comparison. I’m going to fit nickel-plated deltrons to it. I’m curious to see if there are “any audible differences”.

2 Likes

K20 isnt the cleanest sounding but it both boogies and makes good sense of the music as a whole. Will be interesting how you get on. Is it the same length as the other cables? Some folks think 5m sounds slightly better than 3.5m but not compared myslf. 5m does enable me to get the system off to one side so that theres nothing sat between the speakers.

2 Likes

I have NAC32.5 preamp and NAP140 power amp, no HICAP? How can I keep power on to my above components?

You have to keep the 140 on, as this also powers the pre. Or get a HiCap.

2 Likes

I hear no difference. I think both cable’s are 100% the same exept the silver coating on tbe CT3.1S

I dont think there’s is an audible difference. I have no golden ears :rofl:

1 Like

Just curious, is each K20 cable running in the correct direction ? The Linn triangle should be pointing towards the speaker end - I seem to recall thats in the opposite direction to the printed writing, just to help confuse everyone, but not 100% sure.

And if youre using Naim right angle connectors then each cable run is for a specific channel / speaker, otherwise you’ll be out of phase, but that should be a more obvious degredation.

2 Likes