Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

Hi Richard,would be really interested to know your view of The Lamb Lies Down album,my personal Genesis favourite,in fact one of my favourite albums of all time.I only have the original release,in excellent condition,but is the half speed remaster worth seeking out ?

Lorro, while I’ve had a quick listen to the reissue of TLLDoB (sounds great), I haven’t done a proper comparison yet. I’ve dug out my original copies to do so, but just need the time…

Any feedback on police box set?

Yes, the Police Box is excellent. The first two albums are a big step up on my originals. With Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity, the originals were superb already so harder to say that the half speeds bring gains. If you have the old Nautilus issues of Zenyatta or Ghost In The Machine (or the German half speed) then you may not feel you need the Abbey Road issues.

1 Like

Think I’ll get it anyway,as I said ,one of my favourites,thanks for reply .

Richard, are all of these releases half speed remastered? I’ve had a quick look online and although Seconds Out is half speed remastered, it is unclear if the others are?

Yes, they’re all half speed mastered by Miles Showell. I think Seconds Out is the only one done at Abbey Road though.

Thanks for the reply.

Major value add as always Richard. The Lamb lies down is an album I dip into occasionally and really enjoy. I was very recently comparing my ripped CD with my Vinyl copy (not at home right now so can’t check which one8s they are) and thought it was clearer and better defined on digital, but more of an event on Vinyl. If I could get the digital clarity combined with the vinyl soul I’d be very happy. On that basis I think will give this new vinyl reissue a go. As for the rest of these reissues, my brother and a few of my friends were all huge Genesis fans, but ‘Lamb’ was the only one of the Gabriel era line-up that I really got to know. There are moments and tracks in the post-Gabriel Genesis that I like, but probably not enough to pursue a whole album (Duke a possible exception) but I’m curious about the Gabriel led, pre ‘Lamb’ albums, so perhaps these reissues are my way in to those albums. Bonus will be that I don’t really know well the original mixes/masters, so the rejigging here won’t be an issue for me! Thanks so much for posting this.
Kevin

1 Like

Kevin, in my opinion all the PG era Genesis albums are well worth having. My favourite is probably Trespass, but ultimately it’s a close toss up between the first four. Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound would probably garner most votes if you did a poll, but then Nursery Creme is delicious too. There you go; just get the first four and go from there…

It’s been a while since comparing Police pressings, but it looks like I may have to buy these recents ones to add to my multiple copy Police collection. I bought the 2007 Japanese 200gr pressings of all the albums when they came out and remembered putting them as the best of my pressing list. I do have the Nautilus issues too. I’ll have to order these recent ones and give them a spin.

1 Like

I see you have the Canadian (Japan pressed) half-speed of Regatta de Blanc. How is it? I have quite a few of these - the Supertramp ones in particular are excellent, particularly Crisis? What Crisis? and Paris.

I’ll have to compare it to the Japanese pressing Richard. It’s been a long time since I played The Police properly.

1 Like

I’ve been on the lookout for that pressing for quite some time, glad to hear it sounds great. I’ve got Speakers Corner and Mo-Fi copies of some of their other albums but Crisis? What Crisis? has alluded me so far. Will continue the search for a reasonably priced copy :grinning:

I just compared the 200gr Japanese uijy- 9004 to the Canadian 1/2 speed. The Japanese is quite a bit better. It’s a lot more open, the drums are much more forward and prominent, and a little sweeter. I’m not sure what to do atm. I don’t want to buy the boxset only to find them not as good as the Japanese pressings.

Maybe the Canadian half speed is a duffer. They’re not all great - a bit like the Nautilus issues where some are really good and some are really not. Some are really great, like the Supertramp Crisis? What Crisis?

The Regatta De Blanc I had to compare was a UK repress (truly ghastly) and memories of my old US copy that never made it home with me. The Abbey Road reissue is a revelation by comparison to the UK repress.

1 Like

I just bought the police box set :slight_smile: and I don’t have a turntable yet, sold mine recently, maybe new Rega planar 8 or 10!

I’ve just played my new Tone Poet reissue of Grant Green’s - Born To Be Blue
back to back with my French 1985 - Cadre Rouge Audiophile Edition which is a
DMM Digitally remastered copy.
Firstly the Tone Poet reproduction thick card cover is beautiful as is the vinyl it’s perfectly flat and dead quiet.
The DMM copy’s cover though not as nice is still much better than average and printed on nice thick card and has a nice gold Obi. The vinyl is also perfectly flat and very quiet.
Now to the important bit as good as the Tone Poet remaster is I have to say there is very little in it and and I couldn’t say that one sounds better than the other they are both excellent issues. If I had to pick one it would be the Tone Poet and that is purely because of the packaging but having said that the Tone Poet cost £30 and the DMM I got for a tenner.
What’s very interesting is that the TP is an all analogue remaster and the DMM is of course digitally remastered so it goes to show that true or all analogue masters are not always superior.

4 Likes

Bob - Thanks for your thoughts on the comparison with the Grant Green DMM. I have a French DMM of this one as well and given your comments, I will likely save my £ with the Tone Poet. So far, I have yet to be tempted to buy one.

Thanks to Richard for bringing to light this reissue, Tom Petty - Echo. I don’t know how I missed this one. Played it last night. Throughout the whole lp it sounded ‘glassy’ and a bit harsh. I was disappointed, as it states it was remastered from the original master tapes. Oh well, I thought. Just put a record on tonight and instantly noticed the hanging weight on my Aro had jumped a notch inwards. I put it back and played the Petty again… it sounds fine. Kind of reassuring that a) the album is good and b) my set-up is not wasted on myself or taken for granted.

1 Like