Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

I realise that this thread could do with some updates. Latest LP reissues that have been superb are these from the Blue Note Tone Poet series;

6 Likes

Another excellent reissue. Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. Perfectly flat and cantered vinyl, cut by Chris Bellman, and with great sound and totally silent surfaces.

My only gripe is that it’s a 2 LP set but no gatefold sleeve and no Anti-static inners, just the printed card ones.

7 Likes

Carole King Tapestry on Mobile Fidelity vinyl.

A bit of an old chestnut, but such a good one I just couldn’t resist this Mofi reissue. They’ve done a great job considering the originals were not exactly sonic spectaculars. Puts my old Ode and Epic orange label lps in the shade.

9 Likes

Yes agreed I have a couple of quite early pressings but this Mofi one is the best. It’s one of those LPs that is a must for me to own and have a couple of CD copies too and though I don’t listen to it very often when I do I’m always very glad I did it reminds me of my mum and being very, very young.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Kaya

Any new BM reissue is a must for me and this is excellent better than the Exodus 40th anniversary. It consists of two LP’s the original and a remaster by Bob’s son Stephen. Comes in a lime green vinyl and original black which I have.

bob-marley-kaya-300x300

jpeg

2 Likes

Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love UHQR stereo box. Wow! This sounds absolutely fantastic. It’s a little polite compared to my Classic Records Mono version but the detail is superb. I wish I had ordered the Mono version as well now.

3 Likes

I certainly agree with this one. The best I’ve ever heard this classic album sound. Makes the other versions I have had in the past sound closed in and “boxy”.

Talking of great forthcoming jazz reissues - this one is well up there…

2 Likes

Question is… will it be “wheat” or just chaff…? I have some originals and they were never the best sounding LPs, with a tendency towards thinness, even though the music was fab.

This is very worthwhile on Vinyl. It’s long been a reference digital recording for me, especially the opening 5 track acoustic set. It sounds fabulous on my NDS, but the Vinyl adds another dimension. Maybe a little less detail and a slight loss of ‘air’ but offset by a nice gain in engagement and emotion - Vinyl’s forte after all. This Music On Vinyl pressing serves it all up. :blush:

5 Likes

The Band - Music From The Big Pink 45rpm double LP.

I’ve had this recent reissue for a few weeks now and I’m still not quite sure what to make of it. The good news is that it’s a rather nice gatefold, and you get two nicely pressed LPs, cut by Chris Bellman. The music is spread out over 4 sides and the records spin at 45rpm. Technically the records are all there - flat, reasonably quiet (although not as quiet as my Millennium Reissue) and properly centred. What I’m not so sure about is the sound; in isolation it’s very good indeed. The original US pressings were criticised for lacking bass, but not here where it goes impressively deep. What I find disconcerting is that the music has been remixed and so the soundstage that i know so well on tracks like The Weight, with Levon Helm’s vocals coming from the right and then the other members chiming in from left to centre, now has everything either centred or reversed. When you know the music so well, it’s disconcerting and sometimes makes you wonder whether the channels got reversed somehow. Apart from that, the sound is clear and crisp. However, everything sounds like the band have moved back from the mikes a little bit. Compared to my Millennium reissue it lacks something. The Millennium always gets the hairs on my arms prickling. It has the kind of vitality and immediacy that you get with a good old simple all-analog recording and cut.

So where does that leave the recent 45rpm reissue? It’s good - actually it’s very good idea. But it does sound different, and I don’t know how often I’ll be reaching for it in future. The Millennium reissue though is something else. It is the best I’ve heard this album, although I admittedly haven’t heard the MFSL reissue. It’s more than good enough for me - it “does that thing” that the best vinyl is so good at.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Best sounding versions of favourite vinyl albums

Nick, I’ve moved your post to the most relevant thread.

Thanks but I’m not terribly thrilled about that. My post was not intended to be only about reissues but also original great sounding issues. Why did you decide to do that?

jeff beck 2X45 rpm, 200gr, Analogue Productions. Much better vs original.

2 Likes

Terribly sorry but you said you couldn’t find the relevant thread, and your post read like this was the ideal thread for it. I thought I was doing you a favour. As it stands by all means start a new thread (again - apologies) but the two threads do seem to cover the same ground. Anyway, I’ve moved your post back to a dedicated thread.

Thanks, you’re right. I couldn’t find the relevant thread because I wasn’t looking for a thread just about reissues but instead focussed entirely on vinyl albums of any vintage, original or reissues, that are in the ears of the community member the very best sounding issue/release/pressing of that particular record.

Interesting review Richard. I have two different versions of Big Pink from yours. One is a U.K. issue from 1970/71, which is the slightly thin and lacking bass mastering. The other is the AAA MoFi 33 rpm issue from a few years ago. It’s the original mix so you wouldn’t be perturbed by Levon Helm’s vocal positioning. His drums also have real heft compared to the U.K. issue. Most importantly, I think the MoFi conveys real expressiveness in the vocals. Fremer has reviewed both the MoFi issue and the 45 rpm version you have. Apart from the Bob Clearmountain remix, the 45 version apparently has digital in the chain.

1 Like

Over the past 6 months or so I’ve been buying the latest half-speed remastered Genesis reissues. Over the years I’ve bought the original albums many times over on vinyl, CD, DVD etc… Looking through the shelves I can see I have at least 3 LP issues each of most of the earlier albums. When I was at school I spent what was then an inordinate amount of money ($18.99 says the Pitchfork records sticker) on the Mobile Fidelity issue of Trick of The Tail, an album I still have and which still sounds great even after many, many plays. So you could say I’m a bit of a fan. So, naturally, I held off buying the Nick Davis remixes on vinyl. Controversy over the remixes apart, did I really need MORE Genesis on vinyl? Well, it turns out, I did… Because, guess what? They sound (for the most part) GREAT!

Once you get your head around the differences of the mix, you can then focus on the improved clarity and inner detail. The earlier albums in particular have really benefited here. Bandwidth seems to have been extended too - at the top end, things are appreciably brighter but clearer too, and won’t sting unless your system leans towards brightness. At the low end the moog bass on Squonk, for example, is huge and goes seems to go deeper and have more power than either the original or the Mofi.

I have only bought up to “Shapes” - my interest in Genesis rather waned after that album. Somewhat appropriately it’s also the reissue that impressed the least for me. Compared to my original, bought in the week of first release, it retains the rather compressed sonics but adds a layer of haze. The others though, particularly up to Wind & Wuthering, are excellent.

Presentation is also excellent, with gatefolds and printed inners where they should be. Only issue is that the 2016 issues don’t come with poly lined inners whereas the 2018 ones do (but weirdly, not on all - if the Lp came with printed card inners then the Lps are very tightly stuck inside). Not a problem if you usually clean and re-sleeve before play, but worth noting. The pressings themselves are excellent. I’d give the slight nod to the later 2018 presses as being just a touch cleaner, flatter - in fact, as close to perfect as I’ve seen on mainstream releases.

I initially didn’t think I’d be interested in these but a chance encounter was most pleasing and then led to me buying all the reissues (as well as the latest half speed of Seconds Out - not shown in the pic) bar the last few albums. I really like these - I’m seriously impressed. You just need to get your head around the remixes first…

10 Likes