Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

Following on from my post above relating to Prefab Sprout’s Steve McQueen album, another of my favourite Prefab Sprout albums, Jordan: The Comeback. This is the remastered version from the latter part of last year. I tried my first press copy before playing this and, frankly, I’m quite shocked at how much better this remastered copy is. It is far more dynamic and a lot more musical information is apparent. To be fair, on the original a lot of tracks were crammed onto a single vinyl release, whereas on the new version the tracks have been spread over two discs and the effect of this is very clear.

The new version, unlike the original, comes in a nice gatefold sleeve, but there are no poly-lined inners. The vinyl is flat and very quiet.

5 Likes

IMG_0601

A classic album from the Band. This is the 2019 reissue which, according to the gatefold sleeve notes, has been remastered by Bob Ludwig and remixed by Bob Clearmountain. I got a bit of a shock at first as I didn’t realise it was a 45rpm release! It sounds a lot better than than my old vinyl copy which I probably bought in the 1990s. The old copy was very flat and lifeless. Happily, it’s a quiet pressing with poly-lined inners.

2 Likes

Neil, I have this one on the radar although I’m a bit reticent after the rather odd remix of The Big Pink. I will probably crumble though and get it anyway, as I love this album. Best I’ve heard so far is, funnily enough, the EMI100 issue from 1999. Definitely not flat or lifeless! Was your ‘90s issue a Capitol Vaults reissue?

Richard, like you I love this album, but I’ve not played it a massive amount, so I’m not over familiar with its sound and mix. As my old copy sounds so poor, this new version sounds great to my ears.

My old copy has a catalogue number of EMS1192 (barcode 5 099918 018110). A quick check on Discogs reveals an “unknown” date for date of release of this version. I’m guessing that I bought it in the 1990s. Anyway, it’s certainly not the EMI 100 version you refer to!

I had seen your comments about Big Pink earlier in this thread.

Before joining this forum, I was aware that certain copies of LPs could sound better depending on where the mastering had taken place, but it’s only after joining the forum that I’ve become fully aware of how important this can be and, for example, how a first pressing can sound much better than later pressings. I think I’ve got quite a few LPs which don’t sound too great. Typically, these are classic albums from the 60s and 70s which I bought in the 80s and 90s as I discovered music from an earlier era.

Anyway, it’s good (if a tad expensive) to be able to buy new remastered pressings of classic albums with improved sound

How & where would I get Crisis What Crisis LP mentioned here Richard? That is my Alltime favorite Supertramp album!

Your best bet is from Discogs or eBay. It won’t be cheap, but it’s not overly expensive either. A near mint copy should come in around £50-60. If it comes with the original plastic bag and seal to the rear then that’s a bonus.

Hi Richard, Thank You for that suggestion about places to search for Vinyl. I hopped on Discogs & almost bought an Album(Crisis What Crisis) but, at the last min I noticed it was a CD, oh well, keep looking I guess. One other question if you don’t mind? My current Analogue set up is; Naim Nait XS 2, Rega Planar 8 TT, Lehmann Black Cube Phono pre & Vandersteen C2e speakers. I’m getting vibrations through my drywall from the speakers that are very close to said wall to gain as much Bass as I can from these lean bass producing speakers. I’m using the Rega bracket & the low frequencies are making the TT rumble badly. My thought was to try & build a heavy table(I have a piece of granite countertop to use) & was wondering what you thought about how to mount or isolate my Planar 8? Steve Thorne my Naim/Rega dealer thinks this will add too much mass to the low mass TT, any ideas ? Thanks a million! Dean Driver

Pure Pleasure Records are consistently excellent but they have dropped using the AAA claim in favour of “The best possible sources”

:grinning:

For me it’s been the Don Rendell Ian Carr and Blue Note Tone Poets

2 Likes

I have a near mint original of Hats on Linn Records that’s been played less than a handful of times, not really my cup of tea.

Dean, I would certainly defer to Steve’s experience here, however, I’d imagine that if your Rega wall bracket is secured into the same stud wall as the one the speakers are backed onto then it will be picking up lots of vibration and so anything else might be a better solution.

Other solutions might be a light but rigid table, such as an Archidee or Audiotech or similar but sat on top of a sandbox/slab base. Or else maybe try one of the old Townshend seismic sinks under the TT.

Rather than take this thread too far off topic though, perhaps best to start a new thread?

Oh dear, how disappointing - I hadn’t picked that up.

This has been re issued so many times, is the UHQR really worth the high price, just curious

That’s a shame. I would urge to stick with it, but if you do let it go you should have no shortage of takers at a pretty good price.

1 Like

The Tone Poets are not remastered but cut AAA warts n all direct from the master tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering

I bought it originally from Jeffries HiFi in Brighton, it’s been played less than a handful of times but I’ve just never got into it. Maybe I’ll dig it out and have another listen, my system has evolved a lot since then so my appreciation may change.

:grin:

DATC, I’ve edited. Please be mindful of forum rules. Thanks.

Ok, what did I do wrong?
I was just responding with humour to your suggestion about “no shortage of takers at a good price” ?
No probs

Sorry, when i said that I should possibly have added “but not on here”, as of course, sales and wanted ads of any kind are strictly forbidden here.

1 Like

Hi DATC,

Difficult question to answer. I have a classic records mono version AAA by Bernie Grundman which is really good. However as regards stereo versions I only had the twofer version issued by polydor alongside AYE.
I can only say this stereo UHQR is really excellent but I haven’t been able to compare it to an original or any other subsequent stereo re issue.
Let’s put it this way after hearing this stereo version I regretted not buying the mono issue notwithstanding I already have an excellent classic records version.
Is it worth the money? Well at £110 it was very expensive. I have bought some of the Mofi one steps that cost nowadays around £160.
Some of them are good but they are 45rpm. I prefer 33rpm which the UHQR is.
I have Don Rendell/Ian Carr reissues which are excellent and an absolute bargain for the money but my favourite is the Hendrix UHQR.

2 Likes