Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

I’ve got various Hendrix re -issues and my best is the Classic Mono ABAL. Mind you some of the psychedelic mix is missing from the mono.
:grinning:

1 Like

Noted. It wasn’t intended to solicit offers just a joke but happy to receive a bollocking!
:joy:

Yes, I know, but others may not have understood that. No “bollocking” intended though…

1 Like

Or entrapment?
:joy:

2 Likes

Some other worthy vinyl re issues I have bought recently that aren’t Don Rendell/Ian Carr or Blue Note Tone poet:

Duke Ellington Masterpieces - Analogue Productions 33rpm (also available as 45rpm) hard to believe this was recorded in 1950 it sounds so fresh. Freed from the time constraints of 78rpm Ellington uses the new 33rpm format to record extended concert pieces. Perhaps the earliest forerunner of the modern 12" extended dance mix?
Hugh Masakela Hope - Analogue Productions 33rpm (also available at 45rpm)
Beautiful music and sound on these but my favourite has been Harry Belafonte At Carnegie Hall again from Analogue Productions on 33rpm also available as a 45rpm box set. Truly sublime and engagingy entertaining this mastering really does take you there.
I have long been after a decent vinyl copy of Friday Night In San Francisco - Paco Lucia, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola. Until now I have been listening to the Sony Legacy CD which sounds good and has a nice booklet.
I took a punt on the Impex single vinyl 33rpm mastering and whilst the sound is good but not earth shattering, I find the package a bit disappointing for the money (£42). Pressing is quiet, my copy a little warped, but a rather bog standard sleeve with no insert, the whole just feels rather lightweight quality.
It’s the only Impex title I have, does anyone have any experience of Impex reissues? Good,bad,indifferent?

1 Like

A shame about that Impex. My experience of them has been generally very good so far. I have the Impex reissues of Time Further out and Legrand Jazz. Presentation and sound are top notch, with nice heavy plastic protective outers and heavy tip-on sleeves with an embossed sticker showing what number pressing yours is out of the total.

Are you sure yours is the Impex release?

Yeah the stereo is fantastic for that.

1 Like

Yes it is Impex. It has the gold “Impex” seal on the outer PVC envelope and the limited edition number. It just seems a lot in price for very little. I would have expected at least a tip on sleeve and an insert with some pics/info.
Its imported by one of my favourite shops so a large portion of the price will be import and shipping. Even so Its 38USD over the pond so it’s still not a cheap record.

Read about this a few days ago. A fire at a California Vinyl plant will put a big dent in records.

There’s a thread about it on here from a few weeks ago;

Analogplanet’s Best Reissues of the Decade!

1 Like

Very sad along with the Universal Studios fire that destroyed precious master tapes.
I think we’ve had a previous thread on this…

:frowning:

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

1 Like

I see what you mean. That doesn’t look like a tip-on jacket.

It isn’t!
The small print on the back of the sleeve says manufactured for Impex by Sony Music, maybe that explains the flimsy sleeve
:frowning:
Btw according to Discogs there are two different masterings for the Linn Hats LP but similar price values.

I have an Impex copy of MIles Davis ESP and it also says manufactured by Sony and doesn’t have a tip-on jacket. It was highly recommended when I got it and I thought it sounded good, though it’s a while since I put it on.

1 Like

Hi Clive, I would say the sound is good but not particularly noteworthy in this case. I just felt the overall package is nothing better than a “standard” mainstream vinyl release.
That said I have been buying a lot of Music Matters, Tone Poet & Analogue Productions recently which are great sounding and a quality package.
When I had a subscription to the Music Matters 33rpm series, which have lovely gatefold Tip On’s and pressed at RTI, as are Impex, were coming in at around £50 a pop with shipping, occasionally more if I was unlucky to cop for customs duty.
So maybe on reflection I’m being a tad curmudgeonly regarding the Impex.

I had a listen to my ESP Impex and it is very good although I have nothing to compare it with. I found Michael Fremer’s favourable review of it and he said that the original recording had flaws. I cannot remember where I got it from and how much it was - maybe it was distributed in the UK. I haven’t pursued some of those recent jazz reissues which have to be imported as they are so expensive. At least we are now getting some Blue Notes properly produced and pressed and released in the UK for reasonable prices.

1 Like

Yes the Blue Note Tone Poet series particularly which are made to the same spec as the Music Matters. AAA mastered by Kevin Gray, Heavy card gatefold Stoughton tip on sleeve, plated and pressed at RTI but widely available at 30 - £35.
The BN 80 series at around £20 are good value but I think the Tone Poet are worth the extra. The BN80 are still AAA mastered by Kevin Gray and plated at RTI but to reduce cost are pressed in Germany at Optimal with a cheaper basic sleeve.

http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

More Tone Poet for 2020

http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

:+1:

1 Like