Vinyl releases on pre order

Lee Morgan - Taru, BN./Tone Poet (2024)

3 Likes

I didnt know this album, are you enjoying it? I just streamed it and it sounds like great music, but how are the sonic on the vinyl release?

Like you I’ve only streamed it as the Verve/Acoustic Sounds reissue isn’t released yet, next week I believe but if the Billie Holiday - Body and Soul Verve/Acoustic reissue I got last week is anything to go by it should be excellent.

Ezra Collective - Dance, No One’s Watching, Partisan Records (2024)

1 Like

The Oscar Peterson Trio - A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra, Verve By Request (2024)

2 Likes

[Soul Jazz Records Presents] Rastafari: The Dreads Enter Babylon 1955-83

2 Likes

I won’t buy Verve By Request albums anymore, until someone else has reviewed it and confirmed it’s mastered competently. They keep letting Kevin Reeves master these and he’s just horrible. If you want to know what I mean listen to the reissue of Don Cherry’s Art Deco. It’s cut at such a low level and with no dynamics you have to turn it way up and then it’s noisy.

It’s not just me either. There have been plenty of complaints by others, including reviewers on Tracking Angle. A Truly "Accessible" Don Cherry Record Reissued In the "Verve By Request" Series | Tracking Angle

The Verve By Request is a definite buyer beware reissue series. Some are good, but some are really incompetently mastered and cut. Hopefully they’ll do the right thing and fire Kevin Reeves.

2 Likes

Daniel Casimir - Balance, Jazz Re freshed, (2024)

Featuring amongst others Nubya Garcia, Shelia Marice-Grey, Rosie Turton, Cassie Kinoshi, Binker Golding and London Contemporary Orchestra conducted by Uele Lamore

1 Like

I have brought a few VBR releases mainly records that are either very rare or too expensive on the used market Ptah The El Daoud, Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening, Harold Land - The Peace Maker and Beat by Roy Brooks all of which I’ve been reasonably happy with I was aware when I bought them that had a top quality source been available then Chad Kassam would have probably reissued them so personally I have no complaints but I too have read bad reviews on other VBR titles.

Also the pricing has gone up over £10 a release which is much to much in my opinion.

1 Like

I have some of those ttitles you mention, and they have been OK or even pretty good. Some others have been pretty substandard. So now I wait for a review, and for the prices to lower on Amazon.

I retired early May so I have started being somewhat more judicious about record purchases.

2 Likes

Nubya Garcia - Odyessy, Concord Jazz (2024)

New Nubya Garcia double album featuring Joe Armon -Jones, Daniel Casimir, Sam Jones, Esperanza Spading, Georgia Anne Muldrow and more.

2 Likes

Charlie Parker - Ornithology the Best of Bird Savoy Records / Craft Records (2024)

7 Likes

A ‘like’ just for the font and the cover!

Wayne Shorter - Celebration Vol 1, Blue Note (2024)

Blue Note Records has announced an August 23 release of Celebration, Volume 1, the first in a series of archival releases that the legendary saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter curated before he passed away in 2023. This thrilling 2014 live recording captured Shorter’s acclaimed quartet with pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade at the Stockholm Jazz Festival in Sweden. The intrepid set includes some of the band’s favorite vehicles of exploration including “Zero Gravity,” “Smilin’ Through,” “Orbits,” “Lotus,” and “She Moves Through The Fair.” The album is introduced today with the single “Edge of the World (End Title),” a theme by composer Arthur B. Rubinstein from the 1983 film WarGames.

3 Likes

First of a new batch of Original Jazz Classics reissues from Craft remastered again by KG and pressed at RTI.

Mal Waldron - The Quest, Craft/OJC (2024)

Clark Terry - In Orbit, Craft/OJC (2024)

3 Likes

This Lions Vault life recording with Ben Webster sounds terrific in streaming. Cannot find a vinyl version of it. Has any one here seen this as vinyl, by any chance?

2 Likes

I really haven’t been very enthusiastic about all these “from the vault…lost tapes” reissues lately. I just listened to such a recording I have and while the music might be good the sound quality is disappointing. On others the sound quality might be great but the music is ho-hum and you realize why it was never released originally.

I’m really kind of done with all that unless I read a review that raves about something.

JOMO, not FOMO rules my wallet now.

1 Like

Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down, Verve/Acoustic Sounds (2024)

5 Likes

Pharoah Sanders - Thembi, Verve by Request (2024)

4 Likes

SVANEBORG KARDYB - SUPERKILEN, Gondawana Records (2024)