Vinyl releases on pre order

Another two Craft Original Jazz Classics reissues

4 Likes

I look forward to this. It’s a great album and I only have a ‘meh’ repress from the 70s/80s.

1 Like

I agree, lovely album which I know only digital. For me that digital version has a bit too much reverb.

Ordered the limited signed vinyl to go with my ‘Mercury In Retrograde’. Yes covers of their own and others, but great versions. Listening to wav download, very good @TheKevster :+1:

4 Likes

Bobby Hutcherson - Medina, BN/Tone Poet (2024)

2 Likes

Elvin Jones & Richard Davis - Heavy Sounds, Verve by Request (2024)

Let’s hope VBR do their very best with this one because it’s a cracking record and one I will definetly buying so fingers crossed, there are some excellent originals by the players Frank Foster and Billy Greene the standouts though are Elvin Jones’ - Elvin’s Guitar Blues and the versions of Summertime and Here’s That Rainy Day which are exceptional.

3 Likes

It will be very interesting to compare how this one sounds against the newly-remastered version on Mosaic’s new Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note CD box set. That one includes new alternates too.

That’s one I already have on a 60s HMV pressing, more than happy with that version.

Didn’t know there was a HMV version I’ve been looking for a copy for a while and have only come across UK versions on Impulse but both stereo and mono versions are pretty pricey. There are a few Japanese issues that look interesting but when you add postage and Brexit tax again they are quite pricey.

Yes, HMV used to issue Impulse titles in the UK, often in mono, up to about 1968, when Impulse (UK) took over for a few years. Then there was a haitus until 1976, when UK pressings in US sleeves started appearing. I’ve still got quite a few of these - the first batch had ‘Africa Brass’ and ‘Blues and the Abstract Truth’ and was pretty awesome. In subsequent release batches they used UK sleeves.

Yes I’ve seen a lot of HMV/Impulse releases before especially Coltrane just not that particular release I believe it’s very a very rare record, If you are a user of Discogs you should add it to their database purely for reference.

Yes I agree! Pre ordered the vinyl on Friday and have been listening to the digital version and loving it. Delightfully raw and yet subtlety sophisticated.

Keep up the good work Ese.

Tim

3 Likes

No need for that. Just checked, turns out it is ‘Dear John C’ I have on HMV. The ‘Heavy Sounds’ I have on a good Japanese LP and CD so won’t be interested in this reissue.

‘Stop Making Sense’ Talking Heads

7 Likes

‘Southern Rock Opera’ Drive By Truckers

3 Likes

‘Night Reign’ Arooj Aftab

Not really ‘pre-ordered’ as it’s out now :joy:

3 Likes

‘Fly On The Wall: B Sides & Rarities’ Paul Weller

‘Wild God’ Nick Cave

2 Likes

Another Craft OJC reissue.

71WPGBn0rOL.AC_SX679

3 Likes

Scientist - Direct to Dub, K7, Night Dreamer (2024)

The centrepiece of the album is lead single ‘Missing You’, on which Scientist strips back the crisp groove to let Donovan Kingjay’s vocals soar. Dubbing in the horns, guitar and keys with an improvisatory flair, Scientist channels the energy towards the chorus, a masterclass in tension and release, filtered through Scientist’s signature sci-fi dub sound. Surrounded by vintage analogue gear, and recording direct-to-disc in a manner familiar to his early days cutting dubs at King Tubby’s, Scientist described the experience as being ‘thrown back in time’.

3 Likes