Vinyl releases on pre order

A couple of upcoming re-releases on vinyl that have particularly caught my eye;

Josh Rouse - Nashville

Yep Roc aren’t great when it comes to vinyl, but it’s one of my favourite JR album and one of the few I don’t yet have on vinyl.

The Beatles US Albums in Mono

These are apparently analogue cut from the original (Capitol?) master tapes.

3 Likes

@Richard.Dane Will add the JR to my list.
Roughly 4-5 years ago I saw Josh and Grant-Lee Phillips in Bristol. Before the show we had a curry, no one else was in the restaurant but the next table sat Josh and Grant-Lee. I wasn’t going to say anything but my partner insisted so I got my photo taken with them. Grant-Lee actually mentioned us at the gig and I had to stick my hand up but then had to leave just before the end to catch our train.

1 Like

Tindersticks, few tracks on Qubuz sound good, live tour upcoming. Re-release of the 1st album by Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan.

2 Likes

The Beatles is mastered by Kevin Reeves, who screwed up several of the Verve By Request titles. I’m out for that one.

Here’s an example of how bad it gets. I have that Reeve’s cut Don Cherry album. It’s a mess and was a complete waste of money. A Truly "Accessible" Don Cherry Record Reissued In the "Verve By Request" Series | Tracking Angle

1 Like

More from the Miles Davis Bootleg series detailing the beginnings of the second Miles Davis Quintet in France. A double LP from the Paris Jazz Festival 10/1/1964 and expansive 8 LP box set featuring live recordings throughout 1963-64.

4 Likes

John Lee Hooker Sensation ~ Documenting The Sensation Recordings 1948-52, ACE Records (2024)

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Hmmmm…

Roy Hargrove’s Crisol - Grande - Terre, Verve (2024)

3 Likes

Frank Sinatra with Quincy Jones & Orchestra - LA is my Lady, Capitol Records (2024)

40th Anniversary reissue.

4 Likes

I know it’s crazy but I just ordered the MFSL one step 45 rpm 2 hours ago. I have been hunting a US first press for long time and haven’t found one. Release date over here is February 7th 25. Original price at the official website is 125 USD (without tax). I will pay 147 EUR, that seems fair. I made good experiences with MFSL in the last months (Run DMC, Bill Withers, I Robot e.g.).

4 Likes

Michael Kiwanuka - Small Changes, Polydor (2024)

Guest appearances from bassist Pino Palladino and Jimmy Jam from legendary writing and producing duo Jam & Lewis might give Micheal Kiwanuka’s new record a more soulful feel I look forward to it.

5 Likes

@Richard.Dane @JosquinDesPrez

Given that these are taken from the Capitol tapes – which were copies of the UK masters, and butchered to buggery by Dave Dexter – that all might be moot. I think this set is aimed at people who remember those weird US Capitol albums, before the Beatles catalogue was standardised in 1987.

Good video from Andrew Milton here:

3 Likes

Thanks Kev. on the basis of that video I reckon I’m probably fine sticking with my UK mono box set and giving this one a miss. It’s odd that with these being stereo fold downs they didn’t go for a stereo release. That way, you could have stereo, or the mono at the flick of a switch. Or perhaps the stereo box will come later…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m aware of that too. This set is an easy pass on several levels.

Move along now. Nothing to see here folks.

I disagree. Plenty to see – probably not much to listen to though (unless you’re an American, maybe).

Meh…I don’t find much to get excited about for this reissue.

Chet Baker - Late Night Jazz, Elemental (2024)

Quartet recorded in 1988 and released on Norwegian label Hot Club.

2 Likes