Vinyl releases on pre order

Yes, it’s available here in Canada on Amazon (not everyone’s favourite choice, but I find it handy and avoids not only shipping for me but the often outrageous import and handling fees I’ve been charged when ordering from US direct). Supposed to ship mid-November. The Tone Poets sometimes go up and sometimes down in price after release… so on average their pre-order guarantee seems like a good deal to me.

I didn’t pre-order the Alice Coltrane that Richard showed (I think both are being released by the same label in the same day) but now giving it a play on Tidal…

I’ve found a site here in the UK that are charging sensible prices, rather than ordering from the US and paying shipping etc…
Seems my Jazz collection is due for a bump in the coming weeks and months😊

No better review than your own ears.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks.

1 Like

Personally, I wouldnt either. The mastering source at this stage is unclear, I think Verve say from analoge tape which might seem promising but could also mean anything eg an analogue tape several generations away from the master or copied from some other source, a cassette is also an analogue tape, I’m not suggesting they will have used a cassette but it illustrates my point.

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols you often make these important observations about mastering - is there any easy reliable way of ascertaining the details of the source master - or do we just have to rely on the information given by the record company etc? And if that is unclear - then there’s little else we can do?
On another note I streamed the Alice Coltrane album in question and really enjoyed it- excellent.

1 Like

Is it clear yet whether Alice’s masters were all lost, along with many others in Ye Grate Taypes Fyre?
I recall talk that this was so, but there was some uncertainty…

The Alice Coltrane and Roy Brooks reissues are the first two releases in the newly reformed Verve By Request series in conjunction with Verve and Third Man Records the aim is to release both older, rare records and newer only previously released on CD titles.

Third Man state that where possible these titles will be remastered from the original Analogue Tapes and pressed at their own vinyl pressing plant in Detroit. This is slightly ambiguous but of course it’s up to to the individual to choose wether to purchase it or not a list of future releases have been published which I’ve replicated below they will like the Tone Poets and Classic Series be released in pairs throughout next year.

The Verve By Request was I believe a CD only series released around the turn of the century and Third Man Records are quite a well respected outfit and have their own Mastering Studio and Pressing plant if you visit their website they have lots of information regarding the pressing plant if you are interested in such things.

Several very interesting titles so fingers crossed that Third Man live up to their reputation and release a quality product we can all enjoy.

Personally I’m very excited about the Alice Coltrane release also Ahmad Jamal’s The Awakening is another very rare title I’m very excited about I missed the recent Be With reissue which no sells for double it’s original price. In actual fact I’d be interested in buying most of the list.

Verve By Request Releases (November 2022 – June 2023):

November 11, 2022: Roy Brooks – Beat

November 11, 2022: Alice Coltrane – Ptah, The El Daoud

December 9, 2022: James Brown - Soul On Top

December 9, 2022: Mel Brown – Chicken Fat

January 13, 2023: Ahmad Jamal – The Awakening

January 13, 2023: Archie Shepp – Kwanza

February 10, 2023: Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby

February 10, 2023: Gábor Szabó - The Sorcerer

March 10, 2023: Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie

March 10, 2023: Eartha Kitt - Bad But Beautiful

April 28, 2023: Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus

April 28, 2023: Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity

May 26, 2023: Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live!

May 26, 2023: Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

June 30, 2023: Albert Ayler - Love Cry

June 30, 2023: Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

2 Likes

The Alice Coltrane lp is made by the Czech company GZ media. From Discogs informations.

The good news there is that if recent issues are any indication, GZ pressings are rather good at the moment.

1 Like

Doesn’t GZ use DMM?

I’m sure they use both DMM and standard Lacquer cutting and as Richard said they have been producing some excellent pressings.

1 Like

That is an unofficial vinyl release by Audio Clarity not this newer official Verve release there have been two unofficial vinyl releases recently one from 2020 that I own and this more recent one.

Fair enough - but personally I will await incoming quality reports before committing to any of these.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not the same. It’s indicated 2022.

As I said it is of course up to the individual and the GZ Media is a bit of a red herring as it refers to an unofficial release not this official one.

This is only a guess but you would have to presume that if there where a set of original masters for the Alice Coltrane release that Acoustic Sounds would have had first refusal seeing as they did such a fantastic job on their recent Impulse remasters.

Having said that if the quality is up to scratch then I’m not actually bothered where it is sourced from. I hear that the Analogue Productions Lightnin’ Hopkins rarity taken from a needle drop is excellent.

1 Like

It’s not the same FR this unofficial Audio Clarity release was for sale and in stock a couple of months back from Juno because I considered buying it but when I looked at my unofficial copy from 2020 it also has an Audio Clarity label.

If you click on Audio Clarity on the Discogs listing you saw it takes to another page that describes them as a Russian bootleg label.

1 Like

I agree about quality, and may get a copy of this Ptah just to hear it against my original. I love this album and am wishin’ and hopin’ this reissue does it and Alice justice.

1 Like

Me too @steviebee I don’t know if you have a copy of Ahmad Jamal’s The Awakening but if the quality is there I’ll be so happy two of my most lusted after records in one series happy days.

I don’t @Bobthebuilder - but I think it’s time I did!

And I’m pleased to see Pharoah, Archie Shepp, Albert and Sun Ra on that list. Some of my favourite musicians.

1 Like