Vinyl releases on pre order

So far I think I’m just in for the Mingus Blues and Roots, and maybe one or two Coltrane albums. The rest I can pass on as either not desired or I have a decent enough copy already.

Good to see the two Donny Hathaway albums in there, especially the S/T with the sublime Giving Up.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @JosquinDesPrez :+1: :grin:

1 Like

Didn’t see those on the original list. Two of my most played records that I’ve never owned on vinyl and will definitely be buying both ‘Giving Up’ is in my top 5 favourite soul songs such a beautifully crafted record lyrically and musically.

Tony Kofi Quartet - TKQ Plays Monk, The Last Music Company (2023)

Exceptionally good record and I’m very much looking forward to hearing it on vinyl.

Kenny Burrell - K B Blues, BN/Tone Poet

2 Likes

The Blue Note label has some lovely releases - I have quite few Horace Silver records.

I have never worked out if there is any connection between the Blue Note record label and the jazz club of the same name in New York.

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds, BN/Tone Poet (2023)

1 Like

According to Google it’s owned by Danny Bensusan and has it’s own label Half Note Records.

Thanks for that. I never thought to Google the answer!

1 Like

It does have it’s uses.

My Nephew came to stay with us in Spain last week for his 30th Birthday and drove me to distraction by ‘Googling’ everything, we where driving back to our place from Gandia City a 5 minute drive we’ve done maybe 100 times but as we’d had a couple of vino’s and he hadn’t he was driving I started to give him directions when he said
‘it’s 2023 Uncle I’ve got Google maps for that’
25 minutes later we’re still driving and he’s still banging on about how great Google is.

1 Like

Horace Silver is great his Blowin’ The Blues Away is reissued this week on the Blue Note Classic Series I’ll be home next week and will share what the pressing is like as soon as I’ve played it.

1 Like

You would think that, with so old an album, there would not be much more that remixing, remastering, or re-pressing could achieve.

But I will await your findings with interest!

There is actually quite a lot that can be achieved with the new remasters. With the old Blue Notes in particular, they were mastered with compression and other techniques so that everyone of the day could play them on their meager systems, mono or stereo.

But nowadays the bar is raised so much higher, that even entry level hifi turntables and cartridges can track better than the vast majority of period turntables.

What that means is that Kevin Gray – for example, since he does all the BN Classics and Tone Poets – can master these Blue Notes without compression and really bring out what is indeed on the tape. That wasn’t so true in the past.

I have lots of old Blue Notes and in just about every case the latest round of reissues from Music Matters Jazz and Analogue Productions of the last decade, and now Tone Poet and Blue Note Classics the results are vastly superior. You just hear so much more of the music, and with better dynamic and frequency range.

Analog mastering has come a long way.

And FWIW, most of these old Blue Notes cannot be “remixed” because Rudy Van Gelder mixed live to two-track tape (or mono in the 50s) when he recorded them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Another one from Craft (out 10th November):

3 Likes

Oooo…shiny!

If Craft where giving them away for free I wouldn’t want them :rofl: :joy:

I have the older AP 45 RPM version of this album. It’s great, and I will definitely be in for this new one.

I’ve probably posted this sometime in the past, but I count myself among the privileged to have heard/seen Eva perform live. Was at Mick Fleetwood’s club just outside of Washington DC. At the time I worked with one of her cousins who invited me to the show, knowing my love of music.

1 Like

One way I keep the size of my record collection reasonable is to “just say no” to 45’s. Frankly I have 0 interest in flipping records over that often.

4 Likes