Vinyl sibilance - your advice

Just to clarify.

I have no beef with my dealer. They have been supportive. They let me listen as long as I wanted before I purchased. When the software on my Star acted up they arranged a replacement. And just this week someone came to adjust the front panel in my home. Whenever I needed they loaned me equipment.

Plus I could have put my foot down at the start but I did not.

So if I contact Rega it would purely be to get their take on the issue.

For the rest I will work with the dealer to demo other things and find something that does work with my ears.

1 Like

You changed you avatar to Dirty from Day Dream Nation?

1 Like

Every time it catches my eye I see Deadpool…

1 Like

I didn’t and it’s still Dirty when I look at it. Do you see DDN? That would be weird LOL. I love DDN, who doesn’t, but I thought the dirty sock puppet looks friendlier on the forum

Edit: I misread your post and mixed up directions. No I never had DDN here, always Dirty

Edit: Now I wonder who the member with DDN is

1 Like

Did you not have it as DDN though before or am I becoming confused with another forum member who is also Sonic Youth fan.

Oh somebody else then or I have forum confusion and they are on Roons. Lol age and this being couped up catching me up

Sorry, see edit above, I misread. No, I was always Dirty (joined in June) but now I would very much like to know who uses DDN :slight_smile:

1 Like

See above edit. Love the youth myself DDN is one of my favoutite albums of all time.

1 Like

I’ll look out for the candle

1 Like

In the UK all contact with Rega is through your dealer. If you write direct you may not get the response you hope for. If within guarantee they will like as not be willing to test the cartridge and rectify any problems that fall within the guarantee. These MC are very sensitive so I would look to trying different sites for the various bits. Also I have a proper cover on my RP10 which is down when playing.

Phil

Mine too, and writing this my head goes “Evol! No, Sister!” and so on :slight_smile: I just ordered Kim’s new artist scrapbook bio, No Icon (https://www.rizzoliusa.com/book/9780847865819/)

1 Like

I live with cats so the cover of my RP6 is open less than the international space station’s doors.

1 Like

You play with the cover down?

My cats died years ago and I am now washing their hair off all my vinyl. It goes everywhere! A bit sad but great to listen to vinyl again, they don’t mix well

1 Like

Yup I do.

Our cats are little members of the family. I have ways and means to listen without hair getting on the stylus.

And, risking banning from the forum, if I have to choose between them and the vinyl, the cats will stay…

This was my impression and why I thought Dreadatthecontrols’s suggestion a bit OTT

I managed to keep it off the stylus, but they have not been around for 5 years and I now have a record cleaner and every record I pull out is full of wool, even those that I am sure I never played while they were alive.

Of course they were cherished members of the family and I simply stopped playing vinyl for a long time (not just because of this, many reasons). When they died after long lives I felt the idea of replacing them was weird (that’s not what you do with family members), and life had changed anyway. So now with renewed interest in hifi and the new P8 (etc) I am back to vinyl and it is just astounding with the wool

That may account for some of the sibilance then ?

1 Like

I hear what you say. They can never be replaced. I respect that.

Aside from that I am always amazed where the hair goes. And how much of it. Every week we scrape enough off the carpet in the lounge to built a whole new cat from.

1 Like

The sibilance is also there when open.

But now you started something. Why ever for would a closed cover increase sibilance? Honest question, I am intrigued…