Vinyl sibilance - your advice

Yeah at some point I will go test this out at the dealer.

1 Like

Waste of time, As I understand it VTA is non adjustable with Rega arms, one needs shims but rarely and only with non Rega cartridges.

1 Like

Having been a Rega owner I dont think any of the above suggestions, other than checking the basic set up (arm balance, tracking force, bias and stylus/cantileverand condition) and level is going to help. A Rega turntable and cartridge are perfectly matched and VTA for example is non adjustable as itā€™s not necessary. As the problem has been there from Day 1 I would bend the dealers ear until he/she sorts it to your satisfaction, aside from the Moon phono stage which could be incompatible, the rest is guesswork and will get you chasing round in circles, theyā€™ve taken your money so your dealer and/or Rega are responsible for putting it right.

I agree that messing with the Rega beyond the normal settings is not what I want to do.

As for the cartidge. I compared it with the dealerā€™s demo model and it is exactly the same result so the cartridge is what it is. And when I bought it I extensively demoed this setup and agreed to buy it. I think the ship has sailed to return it.

No it hasnā€™t! It will probably still be under guarantee for a start, unless the cart has suffered some damage caused by you. No way should a Rega cart on a Rega deck sound like that. Dont be fobbed off, complain in no uncertain terms to both the dealer and Rega. The fact that the dealer demo model also sounds dodgy doesnt negate your dissatisfaction, sorry to say but sounds possibly like said dealer doesnt know what their doing. Get on to Rega without delay is my advice their good people and will sort it for you Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

Will check it out.

Itā€™s Roy Gandy in disguise!

You wrote some days ago that your dealer came with his P6, another Ania, and his phono stage. He found like you the same sibilance.
What was the phono he brought to your house?

It was another Moon. Same as mine.

BUT, here is another interesting fact. As I said, the sibilance is left channel heavy. If I switch the input cables on the phono stage it becomes right channel heavy. This is not something I would expect it it was the phono stage.

1 Like

Yep, heā€™s the man. Bribe him with a bag of cashewsā€¦heā€™ll sort it

So itā€™s the cart or more probably the arm cable which is defective. But how can it be that as the dealer brought his own P6 and his own Ania and found the same.
I am lost.

Krypton, I feel for you and from what Iā€™ve read here itā€™s totally unacceptable.
No disrespect to anyone offering comment here but as is often the case with forums you will get a multitude of answers and contention that really will just get you at it and make your frustration worse.
If you really want your issue sorted, I dont think your dealer is up to it, I would urge you to drop a line to Rega, even address it to Roy Gandy, Iā€™ll lay you money it will lead to satisfaction.
Then find another dealer

1 Like

I donā€™t actually think anything is defective as such. I have read elsewhere that the ANIA is very sensitive to sibilance on hot pressed vinyl and think this is at hand. Plus my sensitivity to sibilance.

And I quote:

Elliptical styli are kryptonite to someone that is highly sensitive to sibilance and IGD and owns a lot of hotly cut/narrow inner groove records.

1 Like

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you, I may very well follow that route. Is the contact the standard client contact I may find on the website?

Suggest you try another cart on your deck, pref with a better stylus profile. If the problem goes you will know itā€™s the cart, if it is still there itā€™s the deck.

Phono will only play the signal it gets.

1 Like

I donā€™t see what Rega can really do here. Apparently itā€™s more the Ania characteristics and sensitivity of Kryptos.
I hope the dealer will just refund completely Kryptos and sell him a more suitable cartridge for his ears.

The quote is pretty meaningless, whatā€™s the source?
Its irrelevant anyway, I doubt Rega would agree that itā€™s normal for their cart to sound the way your describing,your not satisfied thatā€™s what matters.
Write a good old fashioned firm but polite letter of complaint to Roy Gandy at Rega, get address from the website, and be sure to include the name of the dealer in the letter. Send it recorded delivery and keep a copy.
Iā€™m certain you will get a helpful response, itā€™s not in manufacturers interests to have unhappy customers, especially ones that are vocal on forums.
If all else fails then you have consumer rights, if you paid the dealer by credit card then under Consumer Credit Act the card company is also liable (Im assuming your in UK). Contact your credit card company and raise a claim under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act stating the goods are unsatisfactory, not fit for purpose etc. Claims are not time limited, theres a good chance you will get all or part of your money back. Amex are particularly supportive of their customers in this regard and I have used this process several times and always got my money back. Just make sure you keep copies of all communication.

Um, @Dreadatthecontrols, this is a bit heavy handed, no? It is not as if the Rega killed his cats. He is indoor [autocorrect! I meant unhappy] with presentation and at least as far as I and others could tell from the clip (and not having the same album to compare) I for one donā€™t even hear the huge problem.

No!

Ok. It seems a perfect way to antagonize a dealer over something that is not proven to be a problem, but as you wish. I am sure you listened to the same album and pressing on your system