Vinyl storage

Merci Mon Ami

1 Like

I use what were originally called iCube and are now Vinyl Blox. I have 1,352 albums stored in 22 Blox’s; i.e. an average of just over 61 per blox. They are currently stacked up to four high. They also make double width ones and CD storage that are the same width. They are not cheap (about £28 a Blox) but very sturdy and come in a large variety of colours or just plain wood.

Worth checking out.

1 Like

Looks good i checked out the website thanks :sunglasses:

I use a brown Kallax, vertical…I have more albums now, but still under 20.

2 Likes

FYI, many years ago I bought some plain i-cubes and as @SergeantSunshine says they are great, very well finished for bare MDF and strong - you can stand on them.

I then bought a few more (still i-cubes) and the finish was different, with staples used on the edges - bit of a disappointment TBH. The colour ones now produced may be better finished, noting if you get plain wood and it’s MDF, then to paint them you should use a sealer - and painting them is a bit tricky.

So, I’d suggest getting one or 2 as a sample if you’re interested.

Thanks might get a couple to try everything is stored in Kallax but these could be useful for some of the other locations in listening room

Cheers

Paul

FYI, my bare i-cubes are now serving as storage in the garden shed post changing to Kallax (3 x 8 compartment units in the main). IIRC, one drawback of Kallax and what preceded it is the range of colours, which is now better but still limited.

I just find Kallax so much easier to work with and add differing formats to, plus it’s far cheaper. And you can fix hardboard or alike to the rear face if needed.

2 Likes

Thats my current setup am just cataloging at the moment and have reached P for Pink Floyd

Then will buy an RCM then a Turntable plus Amp etc.

1 Like

Quite a price hike £40 on the web site. Good designs though.

I use Form Konnect from B+Q.

My vinyl is stored in the garage, but I have attached another photo of our CDs and DVDs using Form Konnect with shelf inserts that is situated in my small listening room.

2 Likes

I use Form Konnect seen here with vinyl and CDs and DVDs

This is available from B +Q.

5 Likes

I don’t know what happened there. My original post showed as an “error”, so I reposted with a little more brevity…

Hi It looks good is the depth similar to the Kallax?

Here’s a spec sheet … the pink one is £8, half price but they don’t seem to deliver.

As you can see from the photos it is just deep enough to encompass LPs. Each cavity holds around 75-80 single LPs without really ramming them in.

Whilst the quality is not fantastic, reflecting the relatively low price, they can look quite effective in a domestic setting. Assembly is not difficult, but a major advantage for me is that they are to a degree modular, in so far as the joining “kit” means that a rigid assembly can be made with various sizes.

What you cannot do, though, is buy 4x4 cavity units (using them vertically), then lay 2x2 cavity units horizontally across the top and achieve perfect linearity. Close examination of the dimensions will clarify what I mean.

In the garage I have used 6qty 1x4, 3qty 1x3, 3qty 1x2.
In the listening room it is a bit more complicated because I managed to find a 3x3 cavity unit which was only available for a short time and have had to bodge on the unit on which the lamp sits due to the size issue referred to above.

If you use a joining kit, be aware that there is a slight protrusion into each cavity is a screw head by a couple of mm. A 5mm drill bit is what I have used to drill out the hole for the kit.

Because of the Coronavirus B +Q have virtually stopped home deliveries, but Ikea don’t want to deliver in my experience, and there are more B+Qs than Ikea’s to choose from.

Hope this is of some help

1 Like

Brilliant stuff will get my daughter to have a look in B&Q as im living in France but some New Vinyl is being delivered to my Daughters House and i want her to store it properly.

Fletcher & Mils make nice storage units to order.

1 Like

Check out some of the reviews on B&Q’s website.

These appear to be of chipboard construction - and, I would guess (borne of @BigAl 's comments), benefit from being joined for strength/robustness purposes.

Laminated chipboard. On a couple of units there has been minor damage to the laminate even though I have been careful to pick packaging with no external dents or damage.

Once joined together they are “strong and stable” (ahem). As you can see, the LP units are pretty full but the shelves show no sign of bowing.

I can only re-emphasise, form exceeds function with the Form Konnect, but I have bought quite a bit, with more being situated in the listening room and on the first floor landing where it is being used as a bookcase.

A slightly more domestic setting from 2016…

3 Likes