Vitus integrated amp v 552/500

Shouldn’t this happen before you buy? Presumably this could make the decision easier — either way…

Yes agreed. Luckily for me my Dynaudio sound great with rock and just about anything I play on them

well I suppose if I like it enough to buy it in my own setting he would then show me how to take it to the next level

Very danceable allegedly.

G

1 Like

Are you thinking James Last?

4 Likes

He is indeed the master of sleepability.:slight_smile:

whiskey- kind of tough to get past the forum members skepticism and questioning motives…just revisit the beginning of this thread where Dunc made his pronouncements…I have dealt with Richard and can only speak of my experience with him. He is knowledgeable and generous with his recommendations. He and I communicated extensively prior to my purchase of a Vitus amp. He even called me long distance to review and discuss possible system changes- the phone call was about an hour ( London to Chicago) and he did it with full knowledge that I would not be buying the Vitus from him. That says something.
Enjoy the demo and keep an open mind is all that I can say. It’s a great amp. If you like it better than your 552/500 then there you go. To my ears, in my room it raised my enjoyment of my music above that which the 552/500 could deliver. Best of luck :grinning:

4 Likes

Saints preserve us!

Ah yes, the thread that keeps on giving…

to be quite honest it’s nearly putting me off both Naim and Vitus.

• 3 month’s burn in for a DR?
  • a “rock” setting on an amplifier?
  • James Last :heart_eyes:

.sjb

7 Likes

My 552 was 16 years old when I had it recapped and DR’d. The front panel board is also replaced as part of the service. I’m looking forward to another 16 years.

1 Like

Q. What’s the difference between James Last and a bull?
A. In a bull, the horns are at the front and the a***hole is at the back.

2 Likes

If my serviced and DR’d 552 took only 3 months to fully burn in, I’d be a much happier camper.

1 Like

thanks varyat, appreciate it

Hi Dunc,

I have commented earlier about a similar experience to yours. Although I didn’t audition side by side. I had to sell my 552DR/ Nap 135s to finance another home project. In the interim I thought I’d try out other manufacturers hifi gear.

Like I’ve said before, initially I was also beguiled by the clarity and clean, effortless nature of pure class A. I heard Vitus only at a short demo but I ran the Sovereign glory for months. It had power in reserve and then some. I’m sure this amplifier would satisfy many. The Ayre KX5 twenty was also a cracking pre with great clarity. But it was this experience that taught me what I prefer in hifi.

It’s a fine balance really and that’s what makes this hobby so interesting. Everybody has a different balance of hifi.

Naim amplification is it for me. Any and every variation of it just suits my preference. In the same way that Harbeth speakers do it for me better than any other brand I’ve heard so far. I know Harbeths are polite speakers without the greatest dynamics, but the Naim amplifiers bring the dynamics. Then my Audio Note DAC preference also carries a similar story. I’ve tried and demo’d some expensive SS DACs but nothing could match one of Audio Notes lower end DACS (and an old one at that). It’s the lack of harsh Treble and haze I always identify on other solid state DACs. Audio Note DAC (when placed on a Rock solid surface) brings the melody and emotion out beautifully. A sense of ease to the music, while the Naim amplifiers provide the drama.

Anyway I’m sure we are not the first and there will be many after us whom will journey like we have. Enjoy your DR 500 system. I’ve never heard an all 500 system but i am confident it is sublime.

6 Likes

I mentioned this in a post earlier on. It was about the famous baahhh from the Naim sheep. To be honest after 17 years on the Naim forum I really find it to be a turn off. People need to get out more.

After 2 weeks of break-in with my new dCS Rossini + Clock and now 2 weeks into break-in of my recapped and now DR’d 552/500 I am publicly willing to state that my digital source Linn Klimax DS has been thoroughly thrashed and vanquished.

Guess what? There is life after Naim and Linn

Best
Gregg

Whiskey - good luck with your Vitus journey
Dunc and Bluesfan - thanks for your help with the Rossini

2 Likes

This why I decided to recap and DR as well.
The only difference is I’m looking forward to another 15 years (and not 16). Need to properly follow the recommended guidelines :laughing:

Best
Gregg

PS - Violectric? Not sure - may be getting cold feet. We will see. Someone should start a thread on the V281

Well i have now completely committed to my Naim 500 and 552, for the future, as once i get my 552 sorted, i will be keeping it, as no reason to not too.
It will be sounding even better than it does now, plus a better match to the 500dr, plus having tried the integrated route, i am in no rush to re visit it.
To be fair i can’t see any real improvements i need to make right now, but never say never lol.
The only bit that might be changed is the rack to fraim, but that brings its own problems to my system, but very happy with it all

Gregg, we almost have the same system now

1 Like

Damn that unbeliever I say. Damn him! Heretic! Scoundrel!
Oh, okay then. On a slightly more serious note Gregg, I wish you every musical joy from the new system. It must sound lovely.

Best regards, BF

oh well that’s put the kibosh on it, my mrs came home on Monday took one look at the Vitus and said “that’s not staying”. I said at least listen to it, to which she replied I don’t care what it sounds like, I have lived with naim and the fraim all these years and it not changing now. well I suppose that is that, at least for now!

3 Likes