Voices I should like, but don’t

Even Adele can be tiresome after a few tracks.

2 Likes

I agree.

Jeff Buckley. Nails on a chalkboard.

2 Likes

Neil Young
Joanna Newsom
Tom Robinson
Suzanne Vega

1 Like

Norah Jones used to be like nails down a blackboard to me. I’d hear her voice and want to punch the owner in the face. It just pushed my buttons.

But the thing was, I knew someone that really irritated the hell out of me and was also a bit of an idiot who just played NJ all the time. About 5 years after I saw the last of that person, I really started to enjoy NJ greatly.

Bob Dylan
Janis Joplin
Oh yeah, to all who said Celine Dion. Good call. Massively annoying.

2 Likes

And yes of course, Neil Young!!
Yet, his peotry is eloquent, his tunes are original and insightful. Even his arrangements are very well mastered; and I’m sure he plays a big part in all of it … but Jeez mon … hire a singer fer Ch***t’s sake.
I hope I haven’t insulted any Neil fans.

3 Likes

Jonathan Richman- adenoidal screeching

1 Like

I’m a moderate Neil Yong fan. And no, he can’t bloody sing.

2 Likes

I used to really like NJ but then I really hated
Not Too Late and other albums. Only exception is The Fall. They are all the same style and not memorable.

That said Whitney Houston can be annoying too after a while especially for serious listening at volume.

1 Like

I don’t really have anyone but my wife cannot stand Mick Hucknall!

2 Likes

A woman with excellent taste.

3 Likes

saw hime live about 5 years ago…it’s not

Can’t stand Joni Mitchell and Morissey but very much like nearly everyone else mentioned so far…

At Casa De Bhoyo, there is one clear winner in the Awful Voices stakes: Freddie bloody Mercury.

It’s said that Trotsky was offered the choice of hearing Bohemian bloody Rhapsody, or getting an ice pick in the ear. He chose wisely.

2 Likes

Andrea Bocelli. Can’t stand him. In my opinion he has a terrible voice and has butchered many a good song.

1 Like

Bit harsh!!

2 Likes

Both AC/DC vocalists, can’t bring myself to call them singers.

5 Likes

Assuming you’re referring to Bon and Brian and not Axl - now there’s a prime candidate for this thread!

1 Like

The McCartney vocal performance at the 2012 Olympics opening was, well, embarrasing to say the least. According to the press he was paid just £1 for the performance…I say £1 too much!
Back to the thread, my worst ever vocalist is Morrissey.

Phil Collins… has me reaching for the off button… and Cher… shockingly poor… no wonder she seems to use vocoder/auto tune on many of her songs now.

3 Likes