Voices I should like, but don’t

Wow he was one of the best out there… I think you are the first person I have ever come across that doesn’t like his voice… sure I know many that didn’t like his campiness or extravagance. But not his voice. Oh well we are all different… hence the thread…

5 Likes

I love Neil Young’s voice. Surprised he’s getting a drubbing!

G

4 Likes

His voice was great in the late 60s

Known as Sea Lion Dijon in our house. Bloody awful.

4 Likes

Bob Dylan and Van Morrison

2 Likes

I liked his campiness. But that voice is like a cheese grater on my cochlea.

I discovered After the Gold Rush in the late 80’s and was telling a mate who is not a hi-fi buff how good it was, he just said it was crap and since then I tend to agree apart from the odd track.

So much music is of its time and if at original release it worked it generally does later on I find but not everything.

I often wish I’d been born a decade earlier as I’m sure I’d have enjoyed classic mid to late 60’s/early 70’s music far more than I do - it’s very hard with some (non-classical) genres to appreciate stuff produced before you were born or when you were a toddler.

Apologies for my terse comments regarding the Pet Shop Boys in another thread - I loved them due to the synths, my father hated them saying every track sounded the same.

Oh dear… fair enough 🥸

Indeed, it’s amazing what half a century does.

Lucinda Williams - rough and tuneless,

Alison Krauss - whiney.

Dives for cover…

1 Like

Frank Sinatra, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Andrea Bocelli and even Freddie Mercury are criticised on this forum haha.

Anyway, Lenny Kravitz for me. Can’t stand the bloke.

2 Likes

She kind of sucks.

ROFL, so mean! Like I said, her video helps me get through the song to the end (sometimes).

Just have zero interest in squeaky voices and lots of smoke and dancers designed to cover up the lip syncing. At least Taylor Swift, and a few other pop singers actually sing and write real music

And I happen to love female vocalists: Joni, Streisand, Sheryl Crow, Stevie Nicks, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Dido, Grace Slick.

1 Like

Ok, Marilyn Monroe, she looked much better than she sang. Sorry to all the fans!

Short it may be, I dare you to listen through her happy birthday song to jfk without grinding your teeth.

1 Like

Oh I agree. But I don’t think it was all about his birthday

Oh, sorry about that. Heck, I like Shakira! (and I mean her voice not her hips).

Me too. My wife can’t stand Joni, it’s too bad …

Has she ever just read any of Joni’s lyrics? I can understand not liking her voice, I’ve never been a Dylan fan because of his voice, but love his songs covered by others.

1 Like