Wall shelf or floor stand for your turntable?

I now have both options for all of my four turntables in both my upstairs system and downstairs AV system.
Although in the downstairs system it has to be a wall shelf due to space.

But I’m wondering what you guys think is best or your preference, I’ve got a couple of wall shelves recently acquired, Apollo) they are ok but I’m not keen on the glass tops.

I also have recently acquired a RATA Torlyte three legged stand (original version) which I believe was a popular choice for my Voyd turntable and many others. I haven’t tried it yet.

So just wondering what is your preference if any?

I prefer what I have… which is more historic, than anything else.

It’s a Sound Factory Tripod Stand:

3 Likes

Depends on how stable your floor or wall is.

2 Likes

I have been using a soundfactory tripod stand for quite a few years now, it’s a later one with three shelves and I picked up a bigger one a few years ago, quite rare to find but very good stands though I’m not keen on the supplied boards, could be better.

Mine is an SF ex-dem one. Just the top & bottom shelves. Its a Turntable stand - not a Rack.

1 Like

In my case not great with either as it’s an old Victorian house.
I’ve mounted both wall shelves now and I just couldn’t get them perfectly level! So the adjustable spikes came to the rescue.

I’m going to experiment a bit with different materials for the baseboards, really don’t like the glass.

Yes not easy to come by,I did used to have an audiotech stand with my old LP12 which was excellent.

1 Like

Try putting a slab on the floor and then putting a stable rack on top of that. This has worked for me previously in a house with suspended floors and weak walls.

1 Like

Interesting idea, I’ll try it with my Torlyte stand, thanks

As @bruss says, it depends on the wall and floor. If it’s a load bearing masonry wall, then great. If it’s plasterboard then it’s complicated. A rack on a floor is probably better… unless the floor is sprung.

Many considerations.

3 Likes

Designed my own which my Cabinet Maker built for me.
Solid Cherry frame, just like my Naim Fraim shelves. They match perfectly :blush:
Spiked legs that are into shoes and stand on an isolation platform suspended off steel dowels drilled into the concrete sub-floor.
Turntable platform is 20mm Quartz sitting on spikes screwed into the frame.
The two shelves are 10mm toughened glass.
My listening room is a timber cabin with a suspended wood floor, which is too susceptible to vibration for wall mounting. Hence the isolation platform😉

4 Likes

Well I’ve put this on the wall and I’m trying it out, it’s a solid load bearing wall but difficult to drill holes in accurately, it’s slightly off but I levelled it with the spikes.

2 Likes

If you have an uneven wall, you could fit a patris board first, level it up, then mount the wall shelf on that

DG…

3 Likes

That is exactly what I did originally, but opening and closing the door was impossible with a record playing. The building was just too mobile, hence the overkill and costly solution on the floor🫤

Wish I’d seen that earlier, great idea.
Might remount it with something similar, thanks.

1 Like

I use a small floor stand brought from London dealers The Cornflake shop in 1987.
It’s got a small footprint and the LP12 fits perfectly on it.
Small rigid and light

4 Likes

Can’t beat a wall shelf for suspended floor, and it clears a shelf on the rack for another black box :wink:

6 Likes

That is a very nice wall mount, quite like Quadrasphere , quality products.

1 Like

I just kept mine… lols.

Bought when the Tripods ruled the Flat Earth…!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.