Washing Machine

If you want to wash your clothes properly, with minimum damage and you’re not counting how much water you’re using, then there’s really no substitute to a reasonably long wash with plenty of water, including rinsing.

For anything other than wool/silk and a very fragile hand wash, a 30 minute wash is not doing the job properly. It won’t be cleaning/rinsing enough and will most likely leave detergent residue. If you’e not that bothered about the garment, so be it. There’s a reason why the Miele only drops 10mins to 1hr for delicates on the short wash option. I always press the ‘water plus’ option.

The major reason to buy a Miele is not the longevity or guarantee, but the machine’s ability to wash at the accurate temp, rinse properly, gentle rhythm and the cycles are actually pretty complex, particularly on the balancing of the load.

If you throw in an £300+ Assos jacket with other garments, use standard washing powder in a machine that’s not temp accurate and not gentle, you’ll cry at the results.

2 Likes

From memory of my sister living in France, top loading machines seem very popular there

Never had a washing machine with that facility, only ovens (dinner for breakfast?) I suppose one could use a plug-in timer to acieve the same. Also useful to save the cost of electricity if you put one on the hifi to power overnight instead of during the day - but have to set up a playlist of what you want playing while in bed trying to sleep. Could do same with TV.

The last 3 of ours have had a delay start, as per the dishwasher. I’ve just assumed they all have it.

Maybe the fact that mine dates back to about 2002 may be significant or it being a more expensive option, so not bought as we had no need for it…

I’m pretty certain my Bosch was a Which? Best Buy at the time, so presumably Which? didn’t see a delay start timer as significant either!

Always used to use Water Plus on mine.

1 Like

Been using Bosch for well over twenty years the current machine for twelve years this replaced a ten year old machine.

The reason for the change as that we were having a new fitted kitchen and the offer of a new Bosch washing machine with the other new appliances was to good to miss so all in all 22 years without any glitches whatsoever.

Did have an expensive Siemens Condenser Tumble Dryer but this packed up after four years replaced with a Beko machine cannot believe the quality of the Beko for what it cost.

1 Like

lots of good info - thank you.

We have been using an AEG lavamat turbo protex.
Has a handefull of programs, but is easily set for preferences.
Definitely having a slower spin after a set temp is great.

Ours was scale related leak too, and then another leak that wasn’t.

interesting, cheers

1 Like

Beko tumble dryer works very well for us at present. We also got a Beko dishwasher which has poor build quality for the upper tray which sags a bit, but washes and dries perfectly well. Would have got a Miele but didn’t want to take a big chunk out of a new kitchen unit to get the fancy bulky Miele water inlet hose connector through.

Our Miele dishwasher is a decade old. Never had any issue with drying.

1 Like

It was often mentioned in reviews of several Miele models when we got ours - something to do with the way it pumped air out to dry compared to many others relying on steam - or something! It was noticeably worse than our older Bosch washers - maybe as it was a cheaper model in the range.

Another interesting thing when the Miele washer broke, is that I had been very attached to it because it was expensive and I perceived it to be a quality item and likely still repairable.

Miele UK no longer sell any 1800 rpm spin direct drive models and I suspect bearings or motor went bang in some manner - it still turns but sounds awful and after the smoke came out I wouldn’t trust it even if it was economically repairable (suspect it wouldn’t be).

There would have been a several day lead time on a replacement Miele and with school/sports clothes etc mounting we just got something in stock.

May sound odd but it was nice having a new clean washing machine - the Miele despite cleaning detergent drawer often, attempting to clean the door seal etc had become rather stale smleeing - there was mold in inaccessible places where the detergent drawer sat and I suspect the water ‘sump’ was also filthy after several months of disuse when we had building work done. I actually wonder if the builders damaged it moving it around. They put a lovely dent in the tumble dryer door :frowning:

Our Miele dishwasher is a couple of years old now. After a string of cheaper brands dying after 5 or 6 years we pushed the boat out… a grand for dishwasher. Went for the bang up to date latest model… a mistake. After trying 2 units (JL were very helpful) we gave up and went for last years model. Best dishwasher we’ve ever had… drying is very good (auto-popping the door open for the last stage of drying really works) and the washing is a LOT better than anything we’ve ever had before.

I once spent a season in a rented cottage in Stratford-upon-Avon. The washing machine had gone ‘bad’ and nothing I tried would remove the smell from ‘cleaned’ clothes.

Products such as Hotpoint Dishwasher Limescale Descaler / Cleaner are effective - especially if used regularly as a prophylaxis.

2 Likes

The current Samsung prompts you to do a several hour high temp ‘cleansing’ programme every 50 washes.

My Miele has a hygiene wash reminder, every 50 washes or so.
It’s just a prompt to do an empty and very high temperature wash at 75˚c or 90˚c to kill off those unwelcome microbes.

Actually, that was the reason I changed my Bosch for a new Miele. It just stunk inside and the washing always had a smell about them. I didn’t use a cleaner in the first few years, so I think that was where I went wrong. I tried everything, but got fed up and bought a new machine.

Determined not to let this happen again, I use this every 3 months. Smells so fresh after cleaning and the glass door sparkles.

1 Like