Watch weirdness

That was my immediate thought on reading the opening post. IIRC I had a watch do similar, though it was some 40-50 years ago.

The fact that it gained over 20 seconds in seven hours on the bedside table seems to rule out the temperature idea. It’s a total mystery to me. It’s now back with the retailer and we will see what happens next.

Interesting topic HH, mainly as i had my eye on one. Looks fantastic with an interesting movement. Keep us posted (and reassured!)

Will do!

Any update on your watch HH?

Nothing yet. It’s with the dealer’s repairs people for checking. I’m hoping they don’t just say ‘it’s fine’ due it working ok with them. It’s a bridge to cross should that transpire. I’m not sure I want it back really.

Hopefully it’s good news that they have had it for sometime.

Timing can be very “positional.” You’ll see inscribed on some movements, “Adjusted to X positions.”

There is a strategy where one can rest the watch overnight in a given position depending whether one wants the watch to gain or lose time overnight; but that’s really for minor variations that are “in spec.”

I’d think that Oris service could remedy this pretty easily if it’s just a timing adjustment. Or if it’s a defect in a part they’ll recognize that by not being able to get it to time. IF they are patient enough with it.

I’ve been on the trail of my Oris. The dealer has sent it to the U.K. service centre. I therefore called the service centre, who told me that because it’s the new 403 calibre it needs to go back to Oris in Switzerland. It’s leaving on its travels today. It’s going to take a while but at least I now know that it’s going to the best place. If Oris can’t sort it out, nobody can.

2 Likes

Well at least they are taking it seriously and must realise that something isn’t quite right.

When I spoke to the U.K. service centre they said they had received the email I sent to the dealer detailing the problem. That email then gets sent to Switzerland. I’m really grateful for the suggestions from members here, which led me to test various things. If we rule out magnetism - it’s not been near a magnet, and it runs fine on the winder, which it wouldn’t if it was magnetised. So all I can think is that it’s a position thing - when it’s on the winder it’s facing forward and rotates, with no problems. When it’s laying flat or being worn it gains time.

The fact that it’s a brand new movement means that Oris can hopefully gain useful information about what’s happening. I’ve not read of any issues online so hopefully it’s just a strange one-off.

1 Like

I’d be happy that Oris have it, for sure. Fingers crossed that whomever works on it sticks with it and really tests it before releasing it, so that they can assure that the behaviour won’t still happen. Because if they just put it on the timer it’ll probably time. But with your email in hand, they SHOULD address it.

I’m guessing no update yet?

You are guessing correctly! The cogs turn slowly.

1 Like

nice pun!

1 Like

Another month on - any update? I assume you have other watch(es) to use in the meantime

1 Like

Sorry, I omitted to update, in my general busyness with concerts and getting ready for holiday. It returned about three weeks ago. According to Oris it needed regulating, which is a bit worrying as it must have left the factory with the fault. Anyway, when it returned it didn’t do anything for me, so I’ve traded it in. I should probably not have been so impetuous when I bought it. Hopefully its new owner will love it.

1 Like

Once you loose confidence in something, you are best getting rid. What did you replace it with?

1 Like

I’ll wait to see if I like it before saying anything, which I’m sure you’ll understand. I’ve in fact sold three watches, which I’ve traded for one, and it arrives next week once we are back from France. I’m a bit concerned it might be too big but until I’ve tried it I won’t know.

This thread got me thinking about a site I recently read. I thought I’d share it here as it goes into fantastic detail about how watch movements actually work. It’s worth your time and a truly fantastic piece of work on the internet.

1 Like