Wayne Shorter RIP

Other opinions are available; many great tunes played by musicians with great feel. I’d certainly ‘rate’ them, but I guess that’s what makes music so fascinating, we all rate different things.

1 Like

Have you listened to Trilogy?

Might sound ok, even on an accuphase amp. :blush:

1 Like

To be truthful, Jim, I used to listen to Return To Forever on a loop in my younger years and today I cannot get anywhere near it. Perhaps I should revisit some of his music but it could prove quite traumatic.

Apart from Trilogy, the only other Chick Corea album I really like is this one, especially the last track:

Wayne Shorter used to love to listen to this on a Friday night, with a chicken balti!

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Weather Report, but I was in the 80s.

I still have the ones I bought in the 80s. The first seven studio albums, plus the Live In Toyko album. I still like the first three: s/t, I Sing The Body Electric and Sweetnighter, as well as Live in Tokyo. Those albums are still great, and I listen to them from time to time. I don’t care much for what came after, and I think Black Market and Heavy Weather were just too commercial and overblown. I stopped following and collecting their albums after that.

Cheers, Jim. That did make me laugh,:sunglasses:

1 Like

Now He Sings, Now He Sobs is one of my favorite Chick Corea albums. The Tone Poet reissue of it is outstanding.

I really hope Joe Harley also does the Blue Note A Song of Singing as a Tone Poet reissue. I suggested to him doing that and Shorter’s Odyssey of Iska for the Tone Poet #100/101 releases next year, since #1 and #2 were Now He Sings, Now He Sobs and #2 was Shorter’s Etcetera.

1 Like

I am not a huge fan of Weather Report, as some above. But I like Black Market album.
I mostly love Wayne playing for others, as Miles, Joni Mitchell, Herbie, or the album he made with Milton Nascimento. He gave each time an other dimension to the albums where he appears. Beautiful and so inspired .
My other favourite sax player is Joe Henderson, but it’s another story and out topic.

1 Like

For Chick sceptics I recommend the fantastic ‘Tones For Joan’s Bones’ on Atlantic.

I was an electric Chick sceptic until I saw him live with his Elektrik Band in 1989 in LA. Not something I would buy but a hugely entertaining evening, great fun. Wayne’s quartet bassist John Patittucci was in the band.

Anyway, back to Wayne. The Columbia University/New York radio station have been streaming several days of Wayne over the past few days, some great and rarely heard stuff. They are broadcasting several more hours of Wayne on Sunday afternoon US time, also available on the internet.

Moto Grosso Feio - ! Some of the mates like Corea enjoying instruments not commonly associated with them.

2 Likes

I am also less into Weather Report. But I full appreciate the work he made as leader. And he has been highly influential in moving jazz on to what is today.

Plus an appearance by the young female Belgian drummer Micheline Pelzer (Prell), an artist encouraged by Wayne.

1 Like

One of my favs: The All Seeing Eye. Recently got the TP

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.