Wayne Shorter RIP

I know you are a jazz journalist and my knowledge on jazz is limited vs yours.
Great to have you here, in the forum :clinking_glasses:

From the french magazine “ Télérama “, about the death of Wayne Shorter: “ In any case, Zawinul does not seem to have held it against him since, years later, he declared to Laurent de Wilde: “Wayne is incredible. He is such a poet… For me he is the greatest of all. He really is from another planet.”

3 Likes

I havre read that sometimes in the past. I know it’s stupid, but some really think that apparently. It’s absolutely not my point of view, you can be assured.

It looked like that

Picture from google

4 Likes

Which war? The civil war? :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe they need to spend some time listening to the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Kevin Gray’s work is pure gold. Anytime he breaks out a tape to remaster is cause for celebration.

I have the MMJ 45 of Adam’s Apple. It’s one of the best, and one of Shorter’s finest efforts.

The Tone Poet series is releasing a Kevin Gray remastered Schizophrenia, one of my favorite Shorter albums, and next year will see the release of Odyssey of Iska, another great Shorter album and one that is a sort of premonition of things to come (i.e. Weather Report).

3 Likes

I do like his work. The Van Morrison discs anyone?

I do appreciate that the MMJ 45 may be a thing of wonder and beauty but I really cant cope with getting up and turning the record over so often. I do have other 45 Lps but…

I have the WS Tone Poet issues so far and if Schizophrenia and particularly Odyssey of Iska are to come out on TP then they will be on my list immediately. I do have an old US A(2)/B pressing of Iska from 1971 and a copy of US Moto Grosso Feio from 1974 but I would love to have newer pressing of any of them.

I don’t know if Joe has Moto Grosso Feio planned, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Schizophrenia is out this year for the September release. I am trying to convince Joe to make Odyssey of Iska as part of the #100/101 releases (April 2024, if everything stays on schedule). He kinda liked the idea when I proposed it.

1 Like

I have an apartment in Antibes, and I’ve been to “Jazz à Juan” a few times: the acoustics are great and the atmosphere delightful!

1 Like

This for me is the greatest moment in jazz.

Not because it was electric but because it was such brilliant music, a river of invention that burst forth for 7 years, the first 2 years of which Wayne was in the band.

4 Likes

Nah. THIS is the greatest moment in jazz:

2 Likes

I completely forgotten that scene from Spinal Tap.

I like that track they were playing.

1 Like

Great concert Isle of Lucy show.

1 Like

Always liked (the other) Peter King’s tribute Scrambled Eggs named after the John Coltrane quote.

We saw that great quartet in 2006 at the Barbican - the playing was telepathic - edge of the seat stuff.

1 Like

The most innovative period , for me. But I know many will disagree.

1 Like

Not me -Dark Magus - three lead guitarists in the band including your country’s best lead guitar player Dominique Gaumont.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to be negative but am I the only forum member Jazz fan who doesn’t get Weather Report?

I am a Jazz novice admittedly, blindly feeling my way through this huge genre and it was Wayne Shorter who first shone a light away from Miles and Illuminated, Lee Morgan, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard and Blue Note Records but like Miles, Coltrane and many others he just looses me along the way.

I go from being totally blown away by Jazz to scratching my head.

1 Like

Nope, I don’t like them either. Absurdly overrated, pompous, blingy, cold, vulgar, empty, technique for technique’s sake. A couple of numbers aside, why anyone rates them is beyond me. Wayne’s detached, cerebral playing gets kind of lost in a band full of show-offs and fretwankers.

1 Like

My problem has always been Chick Corea’s over the top keyboards even though I love the band but I get your feeling towards the band.

Different band? Corea was never in Weather Report. Or do you mean Zawinul?

5 Likes

Yep, got my keys mixed up. Long day! Cheers MJ. Still can’t stand Chick Corea,

1 Like