Ways to Pronounce UK Place Names

Loughborough

Australian buddy called it lugabueugooh

Ilfracombe in North Devon. The American service men during ww2 liked to call it
Ill frac um be. According to my American father.

1 Like

Wrotham, pronounced root-ham rather than wr/o/th/a/m. Got me for ages on my train journey home.

Slight distraction, apologies…Craven Arms in Aptrick, soo nice !!! :beer:

3 Likes

:beer::beer::+1:

1 Like

Having lived in Wor ces ter shire all my life, I have never heard anyone attempt four syllables. I must start trying that.

There is a ex monastery near Worcester called Saint Cloud. Pronounced St Clu. French presumably.

Around the Calder Valley we have Sowerby Bridge - Sorebee Bridge and Mytholmroyd, middle syllable is between thom and them.

A bit east of Lancaster is Quernmore, pronounced Kworma

Near Clitheroe is Whalley pronounced Worley

And why is Bamburgh pronounced Bamber, but Edinburgh is Edinburrow?

Kirkby Lonsdale is pronounced Kirby Lonsdale…

Er… yes.

Only if it’s being obvious. The default name is House or, even more obscurely, Aedes Christi,

Near me, Marlborough = Mawlbru and, in the other direction, Bristol = Brizzle (albeit only in the local dialect)

Mark

There’s Leigh in Essex, Leigh in Kent - different pronunciations.
Faversham and Masham (Yorkshire)…

Uttoxeter = Ucheter

From my student days, visiting friends, then when my daughter started work in Oxford, Christchurch abbreviated to ChCh. Certainly in text speak, I’ve seen many references.

Being a Devon lad, theres a few down eer which confuse many.
Top of my list is Aveton Gifford in the South Hams.
Pronounced Awton Jiff-erd.

…… and just up the road from Marlborough is Mildenhall, pronounced locally as Minal

1 Like

Local dialects always murder place names. Hinckley is inkleh to the natives, as in Om poppn in ter inkleh, want anythin while um thare?

Still a sight more civilised than the weirdos from Beduth tho. :blush:

2 Likes

My mother always referred to Cirencester as “Cissester”. Never understood why, as she was a “Lancashire lass”.

Only if you hail from The States, otherwise, that’ll be “Edinburruh” … or Embra … if you’re from Glesca.

2 Likes

Willesborough, pronounced willsburuh, in Kent.

EDIT: more like willsbruh.

1 Like

From down South = edinbruh.

1 Like