Ways to Pronounce UK Place Names

Ah sorry I didn’t adjust out my northern accent :grimacing:

1 Like

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Llanerchymedd, Abergwyngregyn, Uwchmynydd and Machynlleth are all pronounced exactly as they are spelt :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Welsh folk obviously have more than one tongue or some wonderful drugs if they can pronounce words like that!

Much as I would like to think that Welsh tongues are loosened up by the power of magic mushrooms that grow on the hillsides here, it’s merely the fact that Cymraeg (Welsh) and not English is the first language in this particular corner of Wales.

1 Like

Visitors to the Snowdonia region often end up in “Betsy” (Betws-y-Coed).

Even in Middle Earth, Hobbits can pronounce “Shire” better than Americans. :grimacing:

A Scottish friend of mine worked in North Wales and had to go to Dwygyfylchi (yes pronounced exactly as written :relieved:). His pronunciation- pigglywiggly.

2 Likes

For sake of completion, it is an abbreviation of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

True, although that’s really a sentence with the gaps between the words removed and was created by the Victorians as a gimmick to attract tourists. Known locally just as Llanfair PG.

1 Like

And another very close to me
Debach. Pronounced ‘dehbitch’

This is a yt link to a Dutch tv series for children where they try to pronounce the name:

Bosham and Cosham near me are fun.
Bos - ham and
Cosh - am

Gotham in Notts.

Not Goth-um as per Batman’s home town, but Goat-um.

Anywhere outside of South London is pronounced “dump”.

I’ll get me coat…

4 Likes

‘Sarf Lundun’, surely?

Saff Landahn…

2 Likes

There is Slaithwaite near Huddersfield, pronounced Slowit.

The ow as in ow I banged my head.

Next door to us is Skelmanthorpe which is locally known as Shat!

BBC - Magazine Monitor: How to Say: Plaistow

It’s easy, Welsh is phonetic.

I must say one of my favourites is Llanerchymedd.

Just as an aside (it’s not UK!) in Reykjavik you can by a tee shirt with the logo:

“Eyjafjallajokull, what’s difficult about that!”
(Actually nothing, it’s also phonetic!)