WH Phantom

I think that they are a little overwhelmed with orders at the moment with all the lovely cables you people are buying. My Phantoms are a little behind schedule at the moment…

1 Like

Hi, has anybody compared the Phantoms to Norfost Red Dawn speaker cable? I’ve changed the standard Naim leads between the amps to Morgana and loved the SQ improvements, finally changed the CD cable from Red Dawn to Morgana as well, improved SQ again.
My system sounds great, but I now have the itch! Changing speaker cable will be much more of a hassle, so I thought I’d ask first. Speakers are older Dynaudio Audience 15, when they were floor standers. What I don’t want to lose is the sparkle and detail the Red Dawn bought to the sound years ago when I got them. Thanks
Best wishes
Amer

I wouldn’t expect your Red Dawn speaker cables to be a very good match for a Naim amp, so if anything I would probably have tried changing them first. If you don’t want to use Naim speaker cable, sticking to a brand that’s known to be a good match, such as Chord or Witch Hat, would probably be a good move.
The inductance and capacitance specs of Red Dawn are not wildly incompatible in the way that some Litz cables are, but still not the best match. So I would certainly suggest that you demo some alternatives.

I can’t speak from personal experience but I do know my dealer likes Nordost speaker andpower cables for Naim, although everything I’ve seen them use in demo is higher level than Red Dawn. Heimdall2 I think is some of what they’ve used.

I’ve recently gone from NACA5 to phantom on Evoke 50s and from my experience they are a big step up in SQ after a few hours burn in.
Well worth a try as they have a thirty day return/refund offer.

5 Likes

Thanks for your responses, very helpful, it seems I will just have to bite the bullet and check out the Phantoms in my system.
Josquin, the Heimdall are much more expensive and from the one time I heard them, they definitely sound better than the Red Dawn, but for me the price was way too high for me to justify the improvement in SQ.
ChrisSU, I settled on Nordost after comparing about 4 speaker cables at home years ago, they gave me the best sound and as importantly, they allowed me to push my speakers a bit closer to the back wall so more space in our living room.
John, I tried Naim initially but couldn’t couldn’t get on with their sound, IMO they made the music sound far too compressed - that’s why the dealer allowed me to try the other 4 speaker cables. So I’m really not surprised that most of the people who’ve posted on this and other threads have said the Phantoms sound much better.
Best wishes Amer

Phantoms being delivered tomorrow. Three weeks from placing order. Much quicker than expected. Was quoted 6 weeks due to high demand. Glad I’m off work Friday. My system is sounding tremendous since rerouting dedicated mains so hopefully this will be the icing in the cake (for now, next up more speaker auditions)

1 Like

I was told that they were hoping to get mine out this week (June 1st order) so that will hopefully increase my chances.

1 Like

I hope so

Off topic but were you not auditioning the Ministras?

Correct. I returned them after deciding to redecorate the lounge and didn’t want them hanging around in the house. Got a few others on the list to audition before final decision. Kef R3, Motive sx2, Atc scm19 and maybe proac.

1 Like

4 Likes

No show here :slightly_frowning_face:. Maybe tomorrow.

Well worth waiting for, is my view on the phantom.
Had mine for some time now, along with the 4 pairs off jumpers needed for the fact 12’s.
If you are switching from nac5 then you are in for a right treat, from the moment you get the cable in your hand, as the quality is lovely, to the moment you first sit down and enjoy what they let through to your speakers.

3 Likes

Are they doing a Morgana speaker cable?

Not yet

Deleted

What is it about the cables do you think that is making them sound so good to so many, is it the cover/insulation material they are using or is it the quality of the copper within.
Probably can’t really answer that.

Seems great that a little company like them with next to no R&D budget has been able to make a range of cables that is really taking over by storm.

Well lets be honest about it, its just wire and ends lol.
I guess they have tried lots off different cables and this one works well with naim ?
The phanton speaker cable and the mono xlr to din are by far my favourite and you really need to try the xlr’s if you have the phantom, as they work very well together.
Cheers dunc

3 Likes

They probably have someone in a pointy hat putting spells on each set as they go out the door.

4 Likes