What are you driving and why would we be interested?

Do tell us more; I am just passed the 3 year anniversary with my Tesla Model 3, and have yet to have ANY issues with range &/or charging. Zero issues with the battery technology either. Data from my teslafi.com suggests my max range has dropped by 5.5% in the same period - something that causes me no stress whatsoever.

If I wanted a last gasp petrol car, and something different (and had the budget) then one of these might tempt me. I love a V8 and I think it may be the only V8 car still on sale.

Maybe just me.

I was surprised by your comment that Porsche are ‘poor quality’.

Anyway I will just be happy when my EV6 finally arrives.

Bruce

4 Likes

Depends where you go. Had i3 from 2015 and 2018, ipace from 2019 to 2022. Multiple round trips to Edinburgh (from Preston), Aberystwyth and Cheltenham. Total 15-20 a year. 1.5 hours charging for Aberystwyth and two for Edinburgh assuming you can find one. Three hours last time as I couldn’t find a working charger for an hour. The trip To Edinburgh has not really improved in the last three years. Aberystwyth has so would be quite easy now. Now have xc90 phev, wife has Volvo c40. Really wanting a bev again but nothing around with an enormous boot (yet) and we have had stressful time around Scottish Borders where couldn’t charge easily. On the other hand went to Essex for weekend and rugby services and Gridserve Braintree forecourt made that mega trip easy

1 Like

Ahh well now, Tesla is an exception to the rule! They went into this BEV thing with their eyes wide open and addressed infrastructure for Tesla vehicles pretty well. However, I have heard from a couple of colleagues where the infrastructure gave them erroneous messages and they came very close to a ride on the back of a flat bed truck! Not sure why, but from what I have seen of the current range of models, I would never consider owning a Tesla. I think I heard that the Tesla infrastrucure was going to be opened up to the wider public/ other brands. Not sure if this is true, but doubling up on Tesla charge stations does not seem to be the answer - it must surely reduce the capacity for Tesla owners if made widely available.

Just my opinion of course that battery technology is similar to the development of computers and digital cameras - currently we are at a relatively early stage and today’s vehicles will quickly be outdated and, I suspect, face chronic depreciation - unless I am wrong and progress will be much slower than the 3-5 years I anticipated for lighter, more efficient battery tech.

Peter

The Lexus has always struck me as likely to be a well made machine but equally likely to attract an exclusive following. I did see the attraction when launched. Still do.

There’s quite a few other V8s still new in the U.K., but not in a mass market sense. JLR will be/is sharing with BMW, Aston shares with AMG. Mercedes, VAG, BMW, Ferrari all offer them for now. Fewer V12s too and if I want a 6 cyl, I’d have to look carefully because it’s no longer obvious to me what is and what isn’t, based on model numbers.

Some years ago I test drove a V8 saloon, great car, but the sound was all behind me, nothing to give away there was a V8 in front, and at that time one of the German makers used to use the car hifi to synthesise the V8 experience inside the car. I could understand why, and so the chipping away of those parts of the experience has been underway for a while.

A few years back I followed a friend in his 246 Dino and though not truly fast these days, the sound was epic, being both induction and exhaust, while visually I find it a very special thing indeed.

Looking ahead, I’m thinking about older/classic motoring, not just used, if I can make the reliability and economics work.

1 Like

Not at all Bruce - I was looking at this very model recently, albeit the version with a soft top. Not exactly practical and much thought needed as I would probably have to keep my existing car for everyday tasks. Kinda the complete opposite of a GT3! Dreams are cheap though!!

Peter

Here’s something a little different, I used to ride faster bikes, but enjoy the simplicity

13 Likes

See the second post in this thread for my last V8 car. It sounded magnificent, original engine with s/s exhaust and tubular headers. Nothing like it.

Bruce

@northpole - I accept that I wouldn’t want to be the last keeper of a BEV, but in the interim I will put the lack of servicing costs towards the depreciation. So far, they have been zero, other than a £54 1st MOT on the 3rd birthday. The other thing to note is that driving an EV is a vastly more relaxing & enjoyable process than driving most ICE.

@haffle
For safety reasons, I hope you had the brake fluid changed after 2 years…
If not, it’s a good idea to have it done soon.
While it’s in for the brake fluid service, several filters are also normally serviced after 2 years, e.g. the pollen filter for the air conditioning system.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Is that one of the Indian produced versions (not an original I take it).
Looks well👍

It is, built in Chennai, almost a year old!

My steed for the weekend, lots of fun and burned rubber. The grip levels are so high, we were running winter tyres to give us half a chance of holding a drift in the dry sections.

17 Likes

I’m extremely jealous. :+1:

1 Like

The Fordson was the first tractor I learnt to drive when I was about 13. I soon found out that I could lean over the steering wheel and remove the air intake cover going down a lane and it would go a little faster. I should also point out the steering wheel was more of a pointing devise, the play in the wheel was mad. It also takes great skill in changing gears with a fixed hand throttle. Great fun days on the farm.

A skill set I must admit my balls have not quite managed yet! ( well not in my own car anyway) :rofl: Enjoy Elfer, not jealous me either… Much! Best Peter

1 Like

Citroen Ami in the wild…

3 Likes

Love some of the details- front and rear panels look like the same pressing.

Thankfully not my usual steed, a holiday rental. Electric, 2 seater. Range about 50km without aircon, or 50m with aircon.

3 Likes

The Ami looks like a great piece of design, and at under £8k it will probably be more fun in an urban environment than cars costing ten times as much. More smiles from other road users too.

I believe it is classed as a quadricycle here rather than a car.

Bruce

2 Likes