What are you driving and why would we be interested?

Interesting thoughts on car leases. I have a petrol BMW and it’s on a PCP with a final value to hand the car back. With uncertainty over the residual value of the car as the future end of petrol cars draws closer, it seems to me to be an advantage to have a fixed final figure (subject of course to mileage and condition). Also there is greater than ever reliance on electronics and computer systems in cars so that the financial risk (ie repair costs) of keeping a car much beyond the expiry of its manufacturer warranty is a risk I’m reluctant to take.

Well I think that Cornwall is the only hole that would be a problem with the cars I have been considering - on mid-Wales the improvements have been substantial in the last year, and the routes between Edinburgh and Gretna have in the last month or so substantially improved, so that my long journeys would be fine

And actually if the house we were staying at had a charger I would be fine - would start every day with 300+ miles. Don’t fancy competing with 1000 other EV drivers in July to use the six chargers at Cornwall Services - would probably be OK but don’t fancy it. And my wife wasn’t really happy with me spending that much on a car anyway

2 Likes

My daughter’s just come back from Berlin and has brought me back my very own Trabi :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

Bet it’s cheap to run.

If and it’s a big if they can keep the price reasonable the Rivian R1T and its SUV stable mate will be a huge hit here. The only problem is at an estimated $140k it’s going to be out of reach for most people, shame.

Just what the world needs. A 3 tonne ute with 5 seats.

It’s electric and features lots of recycled finishes. Also you can’t put tools farm equipment etc in a hatchback. It’s not meant for everyone but it’s a damn sight smarter than the gas guzzling trucks that currently form the average tradies trucks/tool box.

90% of the fanciest Ford Ranger utes remain in the city, most of the time hauling around nothing except a single occupant and maybe a mountain bike. Most tradies won’t have the money to shell out on this vehicle either, which will be around twice the cost of the most expensive Ranger.

Being electric is no excuse. The amount of energy required to shift a vehicle with a 3.2 tonne kerb weight (3.2 tonne!) is crazy, especially when it’s generated using fossil fuel (noting that 70-75% of Australia’s electricity is from coal or gas).

Not sure where you get your 90% from but regardless utes form a large part of the workforce fleet here especially in farms and tradies. Due to the fact it allows them to have a dual purpose (help reducing the need for a second vehicle). Im sure there’s those who have them as lifestyle choice but that their choice.

As for the weight it is true and I agree but again the current diesel utes probably weight around the same.

Change has to start somewhere and we are transitioning from fossil fuel now the culture/climate war that has been politically motivated is over (thankfully the good guys won). Vehicles like these aren’t perfect but they’re a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

90% in fairness was tongue in cheek, but I was referring to the range topping Ranger ‘raptor’ (because that’s the closest price to the Rivian), not all rangers, and at that level it’s probably a pretty fair estimate. Tradies and (most) farmers don’t buy the most expensive Ranger to haul tools and sheep around and they are hardly going to spend double that on a Rivian as a workhorse.

The ford ranger raptor kerb weight is under 2.5 tonne. The Rivian looks cool. But it is priced well outside what any farmer or tradie carrying tools can afford. (And, have you seen what happens to the range of leccy utes when they tow something?)

It’s pitched at weekend warriors who want a vehicle that can do all the amazing things it can do, but pretty much never will do. In an age when we need desperately to cut back on energy use it’s a complete extravagance.

1 Like

Again I can’t disagree but these things generally have a trickle down effect. My post pointed out the cost issue but hopefully as they become more popular more brands will produce cheaper (lighter) models. The real concern is the normal sized utes that we’re use to are now been joined by those oversized American trucks that drink more than a football club on a weekend away. Unfortunately those monsters are becoming more popular. The Ram sells well here and Ford is selling its F150 here from later this year, the only saving grace is both now have a EV option but they’re all bigger than the Rivian.

1 Like

One of our neighbours has just bought this tiny electric Citroën for his daughter .
She very kindly invited me to take it for a little spin .
Très amusant .

9 Likes

Tell her to take it easy approaching hairpin corners…

Peter

7 Likes

Fear not Tim.

We may be slightly behind the times here when compared with the Home County types but there are strong rumors that, come 2030, we will have 7 or possibly, even 8 chargers at Cornwall Services. So stop for a quick charge & you could be on your way again within a day or two.

Can’t wait for the electric future…

9 Likes

On a more serious note, I recall watching in horror as Top Gear ran a piece several years back. They used a Smart car as an example. It was forced into a head on collision. And it stopped. Very suddenly. The take away point was that because the car was so short, there is no space available within the structure to engineer a crash / collapse zone to help dissipate the huge force generated by the deceleration. Essentially the suggestion was that in a serious accident, whilst the car structure may appear relatively sound, the lack of crumple zone would likely inflict fatal injuries to driver and passenger alike. The little Citroen appears even shorter in this regard and I wonder how/ if the engineers have managed to develop a structure better able to safeguard those on board. Particularly as the new electric SUVs appearing on the market seem to be heading towards the 3 ton weight point.

Peter

Good point. I don’t know the answer to this but it has a different status here to a conventional car, due to its max speed etc, so perhaps the safety regs are less onerous?

This is why it can be driven on a moped licence etc in the UK

Bruce

I drove one once, hilarious, they’re made from paper mache - literally.

Yeah I figure mine is more structurally sound than the real thing.

The Citroën Ami is classed as a 4 wheeled motorcycle (or similar) and so doesn’t need to meet many of the “standards” that a car does. I had a deposit down for one before they launched in the UK, but cancelled it due to safety concerns.

1 Like

Awaiting the full scale model

Albeit it will be the latter

7 Likes