What are you driving and why would we be interested?

To and from work it is this:
Kona Dew Drop, but fitted with Cane Creek brake repeaters, mudguards, rear carrier, air horn. Chosen as having the widest gear range I could find on a standard road bike to cope with most things (I’m not athletic, so need a very low gear getting up hills, while I pedal except on the steepest downhill). Drop bars because I don’t like wide bars, and gives the option of greater streamlining when against a strong wind, and disc brakes for best performance even when riding through puddles (mudguards for that, too!) As you can tell, I live in a place that is not flat, and is often windy and wet! I great commuter bike, that can do longer runs, but not exactly a light bike.

Otherwise I’m most likely to be seen in this:

2001 Audi TT 1.8T Quattro 230 (stock photo)
Superb roadholding, goes wherever it is pointed, enough oomph to overtake anything I want to, with a good margin for safety. The fact and grin factor of its available performance ensures I happily stick (close) to low speed limits and readily give way to others, knowing I can make up time later. The nicest looking incarnation of the TT in my view. The supremely comfortable seats make up for the inevitable effects of the taut suspension. Being a 2+2 it has plenty of luggage capacity for two people, and my wife (whose car it is) observes that it has room for grandchildren when they come along! Only gripes are low ground clearance requiring care at speed on bumpy roads, and poor radio aerial rendering it useless in poor signal areas.

After retirement the bike will change to something along these lines:

Ampler Curt 250W 10 speed electric bike, ~£2.6k at present, 15kg as photo, but would need some additions and mods. Light enough to cycle without using the battery except up steeper hills, and with the benefit of assured journey completion if the terrain or distance are misjudged.

And in the event of a large lottery win, the car might change to this:
Tesla Model X - this one with a much nicer paint job that Tesla offer, Which matches whatever you wear!
Why? In no particular order, style, speed, carrying capacity, electric…

2 Likes

Wow … one set of brake pads and 2 sets of tires: amazing … I’m at 80,000 miles and on my 4th set of tires.

2010 automatic mini-cooper with hand controls. With the rear seats down, I used to man-handle the wheelchair into the back and then walk to the driver’s door while holding onto the car. Nowadays only have to toss a walker into the back - much easier. :grinning: Btw,my first car for a very short time was a triumph tr-250 , long before any disability.

1 Like

2006 Porsche Carrera 4S with Aerokit and Powerkit. GT3RS Wheels, too. This X-51 Powerkit 911 C4S is a blast to drive and does well in the snow, too, In real life, this car looks like Darth Vader should be driving it.

2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. This sees use almost daily.

2015CayenneDiesel

Firmly committed to hydrocarbons.

10 Likes

Buy now before they go up in price! :slight_smile:

How many camshafts does a Lotus Cortina engine have?

1994 E320 cabriolet. Nice looking car for its age.

18 Likes

defender

Does this count ? :grin::grin::grin: Sold my sports car to get this in the garage for a chassis change and various other mods along with respray etc … Prob wont be driving it any time soon though !

9 Likes

Tyre looks OK…

Never understood metallic colours on a Landie though, they should all be that nice dull blue-green and have straw poking out the boot. My neighbours all have ones like that!

bruce

2 Likes

I use it for green laning but got to the point it needed too much work to keep it going so pulling it apart and trying to get it to a point that is reliable (for a Defender anyway). It came from the factory blue but the farmer I bought it from painted it that colour to make it look newer. It is a 96 300 Tdi. As I am pulling it apart I am finding lots of straw and also lots of gun cartridges … I am going to repaint it flat red or blue, anything that can be repaired easily after scratching on a green lane !

2 Likes

They have that timeless quality where they could be 5 years or 25 years old. I really don’t get the pimped up ones with LED lights, leather seats and big wheels though. For me they are farm vehicles and that is the cachet. I bet JLR don’t get close to really replacing it when the next model (eventually) comes out.

Have fun with it.

I used to have one for about five years back in '68 - '73. It was armour-plated against anti-personnel mines and got me through deserts and mountains in the Trucial States and Dhofar region in southern Oman. Loved it !

[quote=“Don, post:33, topic:1059”]
I used to have one for about five years back in '68 - '73. It was armour-plated against anti-personnel mines and got me through deserts and mountains in the Trucial States and Dhofar region in southern Oman. Loved it !
[/quote] We used to “Borrow” a LWB Landie from the military in Oman to go Wadi-Bashing on our day off.

I’ve had a few LRs over the years - love 'em! Current fun car’s a BMW Z4. The previous owner’s modified the suspension; it’s a firm ride but handles beautifully.

8 Likes

1991 Daihatsu Sportrak.

I bought this locally about 10 years ago for about £350 after it had failed its MOT due to a cracked windscreen and a blowing exhaust. It came with 2 sets of wheels and tyres, including the chunky numbers seen here. I removed the rear seats and glass (the latter by accident) so it can haul logs, fence posts, chainsaw kit etc… Apart from a replacement fuel line, required after my daughter managed to drive it into a ditch while learning to drive, it has needed no work and although the speedo no longer works, it starts on the button.

Most importantly, Louby-lou our Jack Russell loves riding shotgun up front and gets very excited scanning the track ahead for any squirrels, badgers or foxes.

Daihatsu%20Jeep1

14 Likes

My Volvo S40 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

So my Landie counts then :wink:

My wife and I drive EVs to compensate for our irrational love of our Landie.

11 Likes

BMW X3 Msport 20d which I have had for about 6 months. Prior to that a BMW 330i. And prior to that 3 other BMW 3 series cars. All a bit boring but they work well.

3 Likes

Yes Mark, Landies count, it’s great to see all varieties of what people drive or ride if bikes are your thing :blush:

Think I’ve missed the boat on this one. Was offered one in the early 80s for about £500, needed a bit of work. Good ones now are north of £50k…

The old 1558 twin cam? Hang on while I find out… :slight_smile:

Happy days !

Gorgeous Hollow! I (had) a similar Italian preference (illness :slight_smile: ). I restored this 12 years ago, sold it 10 years ago, when I still lived in Holland.

Miss it greatly…

46 Likes