What are you driving and why would we be interested?

Electric car fires make headlines. Gas car fires don’t, though they’re proportionately more frequent.

Something longer term to be concerned about is the increase in weight of electric vehicles. Parking structures are thought to be vulnerable as overall weight increases. The only solution I can think of to this is to mark larger parking bays to reduce the number of available spaces, which would be good news for door dings.

It would be absolutely great if the new Nyobolt/Callum fast charge technology demonstrator car became a mainstream idea.

Instead of 90kWh, 750kg batteries, they use a 35kWh, 250kg battery pack that charges to 100% in 6 minutes. Once there are enough dc fast chargers (an important caveat), there’s no need for these half ton overweight electric cars.

Search for Nyobolt fast charge demonstrator to learn more.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

I have the i4 with the M Sport adaptive suspension and it handles really well. I’m not missing my ICE 2.9L Twin Tubo :grinning:

1 Like

Swedish Government report shows EV fires less frequent

1 Like

And much easier to extinguish

2 Likes

Not sure the dataset is complete enough to make a definitive conclusion. The issue is as said above is that there is no effective means of extinguishing a battery fire in a car. Unless you do a Keith Moon job. And even then you are only isolating the fire until it burns itself out.

2 Likes

And how long will it be before the counterfeit batteries without internal protection and quality control appear?

Multiple issues. They are harder to extinguish, burn longer to begin with, burn much hotter & the fumes are more toxic.

Standard policy here by the fire brigade is to just drop it into a shipping container full of water and leave it there for three days. But I can’t imagine towing one out of a multistorey carpark to be honest.

The advantage is that supposedly they don’t just spontaneously combust. Heat will rise over a number of days, so detection of an upcoming combustion should be possible. Wonder why it isn’t common place yet, if true?

2 Likes

My wife just got insurance renewal quote for her Qashqai, up from £300 ish to over a grand!

Just paid renewal of £101 for mine :laughing:

WTF? Who’s that with?

Tesco

1 Like

Every little helps (the shareholders) :wink:
I assume you are going to shop around?

1 Like

Naturally.

Of course since the ever helpful regulator stopped the new customer merry go round of insurers offering ‘discounts’ to new clients, it’s generally harder to see big differentials between them ime, though I would imagine that shouldn’t be hard to beat.

1 Like

When prices jump so much it’s can be a change in the underwriter who for some reason doesn’t want your business, rather than declining they simply bump up the price to a level that discourages renewal.

1 Like

Agreed. Odd though, don’t think she’s had a claim in decades and the insurer just collects her money!

1 Like

Probably a severe case of the underwriters algorithms going wrong perhaps?
Just for info, my Cayman GTS went up 23% this year (renewal was earlier this month) Apparently the industry average at the moment is a claimed 21% increase. Ouch!!

My insurer tried to increase mine by 59% (+£434), over 20 years no claims and drive approx 3k miles per year…I requested a new quote and they knocked £18 off…when I said I was leaving they knocked off £150…suffice I still left and secured insurance elsewhere with a YOY increase of £52.

2 Likes

I do find it very weird how car insurance companies entice people in with great deals and then, two or three years later, they seem to turn that same customer into an enemy and ratchet up the renewal premium! I can only assume there are sufficient customers who roll over rather than follow your example and take their business elsewhere.

Peter

2 Likes

Just swapping our BMW X1 for a used Volvo XC40. The GAP insurance is the same kind of wrong. Volvo quoting £600. A trip to Go Compare gives us lots of quotes starting at £180. They’re just hoping you sign up without looking for alternatives.