What are you driving and why would we be interested?

I understand the risk around EV’s residual values (hence not wanting to buy one just yet), but the cost increase (£550) I was referring to was on a petrol BMW 3 series.

Bought a 3yo 320i msport recently for what I thought was a decent price.

I tend to buy and keep. My last car was a Mazda 6 bought at 6mo and was 7 1/2 at the time of part ex. Car before that was an ST220 bought new (with a 25% discount) which I owned for 11 years…

What I found tricky this time around was lack of options that took my fancy.

I had been toying with a treat (Cayman or Ftype) but really still needed something more practical.

I wanted a roomy, comfortable (non suv), petrol saloon car which is fun to drive, reliable and a nice place to sit. And not stupid money.

As well as a couple of Teslas, an ID3 and a Polestar, we have two 520D’s for work trips which are very good at their job but frankly dull as a dull thing on setting dull. I’ve tried out three gens of 3 series as potential purchase options in the past and not really rated them at all. I only tried this one on the off chance and was pleasantly surprised. Still getting used to semi auto and the stupid electronic dash but overall very happy with it, speshally after fitting new PZeros all round last week.

Note: I would add that if Ford starting making the exact same ST220 again, I mean exactly the same albeit with a Satnav, I’d buy one in a heartbeat. (A recent search showed that my own 55 plate and my 52 co. car are both still rolling🙂)

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. A 3 litre would be just fine for me, but its not available anymore, in Canada at least. There’s two engine choices and I would get the smaller one.
It’s a bit of an issue that it’s just the two seater, not a 2 + 2 like the Porsche. I’ll just have to see what our situation is like at the time, but I’m glad to hear there weren’t build problems. I thought that would be the case now.

Sam from YouTube channel Seen Through Glass is a major supporter of the F Type - you may find it useful looking at a few of his videos featuring the F Type. You may want to check out the boot which flatters to deceive - practicality was not high on the design criteria list!

Peter

1 Like

Especially in the convertable!

Not F type but E Pace of my gardener. Diving position and dashboard are pretty sporty materials and colours very nice too

7 Likes

Thanks @northpole , I’ll have a look.

Dave

The convertible gets shown a lot, but I’m after the hardtop only. I’ve had convertibles and not a fan anymore, possibly an age thing. Also, the hardtop has such very nice lines that get completely lost with the convertible, even when the top is up.

You may be overpaying your gardiner … :grin:

3 Likes

Not more expensive than others. He’s really a nice guy, he came along the other day with a Xmas present for us. For the record this Is the car he he bought for his parents. For the record he’s a posh 24 'yo lad owing a '17 Cayenne Turbo for himself. His business partner and friend of mine, owned a White F Type V6, in his family they also had a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Now he’s living and working in Minorca and very happy about it

3 Likes

I agree with you. I test drove a convertible with a manual transmission a few years ago. Bought instead, a practical audi a7 that I still enjoy.

1 Like

And it’s taken me to Torino and back home for Christmas! Great little car, she’s just twelve years younger than me.
:slight_smile:

26 Likes

Nice. Impossible not to smile at the little tomato :tomato:.

My Father had one in the early 50’s. He is just short of 2m tall. He must have had his head out of the roof to drive it.

Bruce

3 Likes

:smile:

:joy:

Is that a stick shift?

A friend had one and said it was rather uncomfortable - he’d come from a DB9 and went back to a DB11

I new someone else who had a test drive and said it was too small for his ageing frame, he purchased an older XK

They are lovely to look at though.

1 Like

If you mean this:

Yes!

10 Likes

Was you expecting a two-speed powerglide…?
:wink:

Thank you for the input, that’s very helpful. I was wondering about those exact things as I’m not as nimble or flexible as I used to be.
But the exterior design is very nice as was the E-Type, and the performance is excellent.
I’ve always thought of it as the poor man’s Aston Martin.

I’ve had a 540i and other such, so maybe I’ll wait and see what other roadsters are produced in the near future.

1 Like