What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?

1 Like

9 Likes

9 Likes

I need help understanding Bruce and this album. I suppose mostly it’s that he has a rather rough voice. I suppose I wasn’t really listening to the lyrics. Musically it doesn’t appeal on first listening.

Phil

Chris Rea - Whatever Happened To Benny Santini ?, his debut album from '78.Some good songs but a sterile production, luckily he was able to wrestle control as he progressed with further recordings.

5 Likes

Before Joy Division, they were briefly Warsaw… here are some amazing vibrant and raw tracks that were unreleased until 1994… but these tracks really capture the energy of this group of Mancunians and the rawness of the era … some of these tracks were released as Joy Division, but perhaps not then quite as raw.
(Available via Qobuz)

3 Likes

Interesting question Phil. For me it started with just the music style, songs with rocking rhythms and swelling chorus style vocals. Then I started listening to the words and realised that they were serious songs of downbeat society, with real beauty and flair. And Bruce’s voice for me is perfect for these songs, like say Dylan is perfect for his early committed songs, for me Bruce nails the stadium rock feel of the power-backing while sounding like he gets the feeling of the characters.

1 Like

Folder

12 Likes

Count Basie - April In Paris.

6 Likes

Rickie Lee Jones - Kicks

6 Likes

Van Morrison - Born to Sing:No Plan B.

Love the album but hate the distortion in the sax on some tracks especially track 2 towards the end. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has the same trouble or it’s just me.

8 Likes

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

5 Likes

A 70 cents pickup at Goodwill last week…

6 Likes

Can’t go wrong for 70 cents. :+1:

7 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

Any good?

War - Why Can’t We Be Friends

2 Likes

Breakfast on R3, where Monteverdi is lulling us with gentle Autumn winds ‘offering the possibility of romance’.

1 Like