What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal

8 Likes

Mmmm the prospect of romance, I can remember that :grin:

1 Like

11 Likes

Thank you, Eoin. I suppose my journey will take time. Bruce and Lou Reed were contemporaries, but I did at least get to know and like LR’s Perfect Day many years ago. Now listening to his New York and in particular The Great American Whale. I love his cool way of singing and the commentary on life. Perhaps he was a prophet with this bit of lyric It’s a lot like what my painter friend Donald said to me
“Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they’re done”. My own knowledge of Americans is that their society is slowly changing, but who is there to put their attitudes into verse? Answers or new thread from across the pond welcome.

Phil

1 Like

First the worst… 3rd So good though
Go to work out tunes

Enjoying this right now
Such good whistles!

I’ve not payed this in a long while. I first heard JM when at university. I was on the way back from the library when I heard this amazing voice; I sat down on the steps of the Student Union building and listened to the whole set. What was lacking was a pint in one hand and a lady in the other.

According to the gig list, it was 12th June 1976 at the UEA LCR, and it cost just 80 p to get in. But Deaf school were also playing, which put me off going.

6 Likes

4 Likes

10 Likes

Sarah Jane Morris and Antonio Forcione - Compared to What

For me, not the best of SJM’s catalogue but very listenable. SJM’s deep-ish voice is full of soulful tones. Good reproduction and, of course, great playing by AF.

If you like music from the likes of Patricia Barber, I’d suggest looking out SJM too and start perhaps with her album August. I find her vocal style and phrasing captures my ear more than many do.

8 Likes

17 Likes

Focus 3 - 2001 Red Bullet / Netherlands CD / RB 66 189

10 Likes

@Filipe Try Joni.

The 5th Dimension

3 Likes

00722959563d96bdb148f2f5a8a03eb126a454ba_2_521x500

16 Likes

My own knowledge of Americans is that their society is slowly changing, but who is there to put their attitudes into verse? Answers or new thread from across the pond welcome.

Is there a new generation though?

Phil

Sorry, Joni is Canadian.

Now playing…

Stafano Bollani Quintet - Joy In Spite of Everything

Stefano Bollani (Piano), Jesper Bodilsen (Double Bass), Morten Lund (Drums), Mark Turner (Tenor Saxophone) and Bill Frisell (Guitar).

Streaming on NAS… kicking off this Tuesday morning with the joyous track (album) “Joy In Spite of Everything.” This is one sweet album and one fantastic group of musicians!

6 Likes

Shelby Lynne - I am Shelby Lynne
One of today’s buys from Poundland

9 Likes

Tangerine Dream - Exit [1981]

One of the series from Virgin era TD albums that were well remastered by Simon Heyworth in 1995, TD in their pomp and sounding great on these “Definitive Editions”.

8 Likes