What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

@Clive you asked @seakayaker for avant garde Bill Frisell. Have you listened to the work he has done with John Zorn under the band name Naked City albums include Torture Garden, Grand Guingnol, Radio and Absinthe. I would post some of the album covers but they are a bit risqué!

Also, there is an album Bill recorded as a power trio - Power Tools with Melvin Gibbs and Ronald Shannon Jackson.

That lot should keep you busy.

3 Likes

It’s only been 10 years! Anyway here’s hoping.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks, Andy.

Ooh, just looked that set up, that’s a serious bargain, ordered, cheers.

4 Likes

Ditto! Bit of a bargain that one. Thanks @anon56864344 and @Eoink

3 Likes

Marcus Miller - The Sun Don’t Lie - 1993 PRA Records / Japan CD / VICJ 5042

Recently booked tickets to see MM at Ronnie Scott’s in July so giving this a spin.

6 Likes

Steeleye Span - Parcel of Rogues - vinyl

Prompted to play this after the choir’s Burns Night event organised in the true spirit by a true Scot (now emigre). The background to this Burns poem is the Darien scheme for Panama which went badly wrong and bankrupted the Company of Scotland, which led to the Act of Union in 1707 and the compensation of the investors. The rogues were the 31 wealthy Scots behind it or perhaps the 40 who signed the Act of Union. Worth reading the details.
Fareweel to a’ our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory;
Fareweel ev’n to the Scottish name,
Sae fam’d in martial story.
Now Sark rins over Solway sands,
An’ Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England’s province stands-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!
What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro’ many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor’s wages.
The English steel we could disdain,
Secure in valour’s station;
But English gold has been our bane -
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!
O would, ere I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay,
Wi’ Bruce and loyal Wallace
But pith and power, till my last hour,
I’ll mak this declaration;
We’re bought and sold for English gold-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation

Well we much enjoyed the evening including a few dances including the Gay Gordon’s, songs, poems and toasts. It’s to be hoped that we remain a Nation united in its rich cultural heritage celebrating its past as much in joy for what we can do together as in sadness for past wrongs.

Phil

7 Likes

A fine albumdownload.jpeg

12 Likes

Stunning album !

16 Likes

This is excellent :+1:

And it is his birthday today! :upside_down_face:

It’s such a shame he only had 35 of them,
all the music he would have gone on to compose is lost to us thereafter :neutral_face:

14 Likes

The Free Story, couldn’t decide on which of their albums to choose, so this will do nicely.As a side note ,this is only one of three cds i have where the label side has "oxidised " ? and changed to a bronzy colour.Still plays perfectly though and very crankable :+1:

14 Likes

If it’s proper bronzing CD rot then sometimes they play fine until half or three quarters of the way though the disc where it’s will suddenly start to emit loud clicking or jumping out of sync.

Good luck with it. let us know how you get on ; )

2 Likes

Now playing…

Anouar Brahem - Conte de I’lncroyable Amour

Anouar Brahem (Oud), Barbaros Erköse (Clarinet), Kudsi Erguner (Nai) and Lassad Hosni (Percussion).

Streaming on NAS… kicking off this Monday morning and going back 28 years with Anouar Brahem and this fabulous quartet and they are sounding mighty fine! One sweet album…

2 Likes

I am not good at describing music or adding “titles” to musical styles, but you might check the grouping of the band “Floratone” which includes Frisell, drummer Matt Chamberlain (Tori Amos, early Pearl Jam), and producers and musicians Tucker Martine and Lee Townsend.

2 Likes

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (2cd Kevin Shields Remastered Version)

3 Likes

Beatles for Sale - mono vinyl

Sounding incredible playing mono vinyl with stereo cart and preamp set to mono. Brings back memories.

Phil

17 Likes

This is so beautiful. They play so well together. The trombone can be a bit ungainly but here it’s just so sensitive and lyrical. The recording in the high res is just a delight. I love ECM albums but they can be a bit austere at times. This ACT album has a really attractive natural warmth.

1 Like

Hi Debs, Thanks for the info re Cd rot, but luckily the disc played just fine :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

The Steve Miller Band - Book Of Dreams, a well executed remaster from '11.

9 Likes

Now playing…

Elvis Costello and Bill Frisell - Deep Dead Blue – Live 25 June 95

Streaming on NAS… going back 24 years and continuing on this Monday morning with Elvis and Bill and this duet is sounding fine! Is there anyone that Bill has not played with? Not available on TIDAL but did find a copy of this on Bill Frisell’s website and is one sweet album!

9 Likes