What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

IMG_0812

Tame Impala - Currents. Fine Australian pop music.

6 Likes

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

15 Likes

Björk - Vulnicura

6 Likes

Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds - Qobuz 16/44
Lines from this have been going through my head for a few days, so looking to exorcise it. Such a fine album, a brilliant understated dramatic reading, great vocals, excellent settings, so well played. I would normally play my original U.K. vinyl which I’ve owned since release, but I’m expecting a call soon and it’s easier to pause the streamer.

13 Likes

I’ve been listening to John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy at the Village Vanguard (1961) and now listening to Eric Dolphy with Booker Little at the Five Spot (1961). What an astonishing year for jazz.

Although 1959 was an amazing year, I think it was 1961 which really changed the world of jazz.

Edit: but then The Shape Of Jazz To Come was released in 1959… Mmm…

7 Likes

18 Likes

Sir John Barbirolli. CD.61JXlWosnAL.AC

12 Likes

The finest recording of ‘Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis’ ever made

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic. A lovely folky / Americana style album from a couple of years back.

6 Likes

Hindu love gods. because Mr Zevon is on it and most of REM doing raspberry beret.

1 Like

Superb quality boot of Goldfrapp at the Paradiso, Amsterdam on 21st October 2013.

Videoclip below:

8 Likes

For Def fans just out

4 Likes

Paul Carrack - I Know That Name.

6 Likes

Tonight I have been listening to me playing Soul limbo on the Fosters cans😎

5 Likes

Yes Mr. Zevon on top form with this almost live in the studio with REM backing.

3 Likes

Phil Collins - Dance Into The Light.

4 Likes

Now playing…

Anne Sofie von Otter Meets Elvis Costello - For the Stars

|Anne Sofie von Otter (Soprano Vocals), Elvis Costello )Bass, Baritone Guitar, Organ, Vocals), Benny Andersson (Accordion, Piano, Synclavier), Michael Blair (Drums, Percussion, Vibraphone), Billy Bremner (Acoustic Guitar), Flesch Quartet Ensemble, Bengt Forsberg (Hammond Organ, Piano), Mattias Helldén (Cello, Electric Cello), Svante Henryson (Cello, Double Bass), Örjan Högberg (Viola, Electric Violin), Jonas Lindgren (Violin, Electric Violin), Johan Lindström (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Pedal Steel), Kalle Moraeus (Violin), Steve Nieve (Celeste, Organ, Piano), Sebastian Öberg (Cello, Electric Cello), Christian Olsson (Drums, Percussion), Magnus Persson (Drums, Bass Drums, Marimba, Percussion, Vibraphone), Mats Persson Vibraphone), Paul Pritchard (French Horn), Bebe Risenfors (Accordion, Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone), Mats Schubert (Piano) and Pat White (Flugelhorn).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon with Anne & Elvis, a first time listen to this album and it is sounding mighty fine for this Friday afternoon and looking forward to the rest of the album.

7 Likes

Hang in there and keep the faith: here’s a bouquet of love and support for you and your family during these unprecedented times.

1 Like

Fantastic album. Didn’t know anything about Anne Sofie, but happened to see her perform La Morte De Cleopatra at Symphony Hall Birmingham, she was stunning. Amazing mezzo soprano, spellbinding performance and remarkable stage presence.

2 Likes

She’s a fantastic mezzo, really drags the heart out of a song. Years ago I saw her at a recital at the Wigmore Hall, in my 40s I was probably 30 years below the average age of the audience. She did a Schubert and Wolf recital (I think they were the two composers), came back for a couple of encores, the second of which was ABBA’s Thank You For The Music. Looking round I got the feeling I was one of the few people in the hall who knew the original. She really nailed it. A year or two later she brought out an entire album of ABBA covers, I’ve got it, but never really thought it worked. Might give it another try, it might have been my mood when I tried it.

2 Likes