What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

<>

Carl Friedrich Abel died on this day in 1787

Throughout his life he had enjoyed excessive living, and his drinking probably hastened his death, which occurred in London on 20 June 1787. He was buried in the churchyard of St Pancras Old Church, London.

Carl Friedrich Abel 1723-1787

Picture by Thomas Gainsborough ( oil on canvas, circa 1765 )
49 7/8 in. x 39 7/8 in. overall. The National Portrait Gallery

<>

Have plenty of available wall space in my house if they every get stuck for somewhere to hang it :smile: :+1:

5 Likes

Frazey Ford - U Kin B The Sun

6 Likes

Same year

12 Likes

This has been my main listen today. I can’t get enough of it.

6 Likes

Now playing…

David Sylvian - gone to earth

David Sylvian (lead vocals, keyboards, electronics), Robert Fripp (guitar), Steve Jansen (drums), Phil Palmer (acoustic guitar), Ian Maidman (bass), Kenny Wheeler (flugelhorn), John Taylor (piano), Bill Nelson (guitar), Richard Barbieri (electronics), Harry Beckett (flugelhorn), Mel Collins (saxophone), B.J. Cole (pedal steel), Joseph Beuys (voice), John G. Bennett (voice) and Robert Graves (voice).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on through the noon hour and joining @Gianluigi and taking David’s ‘gone to earth’ out for a spin. The opening track ‘Taking The Veil’ is sounding fantastic. It has been awhile sine this has been out for a spin and thanks for the reminder, love it!

11 Likes

Larry Carlton - Sleepwalk - 1988 MCA / US CD / MCAD 42247

@Debs I don’t think he failed The Yellowjackets audition, Robben Ford just got there first.

lcarltonsleepwalkuscd

7 Likes

11 Likes

Brilliant album, have a good copy on vinyl :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

We were at the Royal Festival Hall 28th January 2002 for the second night, it was stunning, the atmosphere was electric, it was like s spiritual experience.
It’s been Beach Boys all day…examples

8 Likes

1 Like

Aldous Harding - Designer

2 Likes

In the groove👍 @NigelB…you might like this

7 Likes

@Debs Saw Larry Carlton in London on his comeback tour, after he got shot in the throat in 1988 and suffered nerve and vocal cord damage. Considering his left arm was paralyzed and for six months he was unable to play more than a few notes you would never have known. A fantastic talent and individual.

2 Likes

Neil Young - Mirrorball

With a new (at the time) backing band: Pearl Jam. Young is keeping himself, well, young, and up to date with a bit of grunge, and Pearl Jam take a new, Youngish direction on their next album.

10 Likes

I chose not to go to the Pet Sounds tour, Brian Wilson and his music meant so much to me that, knowing what mental state he’d been in for over 20 years, I didn’t want to see him incapable. Hearing the recording and talking to friends who’d gone I realised what a mistake I’d made. I saw him in London on the Smile tour, and was at the second night when he premiered Lucky Old Sun at the RFH. Two of the greatest gigs of my life. Amazing music, superb band that did a great job of covering for his occasional vocal weaknesses, sheer joy from start to finish. Sadly he played Pet Sounds at Cropredy Festival in 2018, and then he was as I’d feared he’d be in 2002, it took 2 people to lower him into his piano stool, he intoned two songs and looked lost throughout the rest of the set, such a sad final memory for one of the true creative geniuses of my life.

6 Likes

Will check it out, Gazza.

Santana - Caravanserai, my favourite from the jazz fusion period.

13 Likes

Now playing…

David Sylvian - Dead Bees On A Cake

David Sylvian (vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass, drum programming, samples, string arrangements), Ryuichi Sakamoto (Fender Rhodes, orchestrations and string arrangements, brass arrangements, sampled guitar and bansuri, insects), Tommy Barbarella (Fender Rhodes), Marc Ribot (electric guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar), Bill Frisell (dobro, acoustic guitar), Kenny Wheeler (flugelhorn), Lawrence Feldman (flute), Deepak Ram (bansuri), John Giblin (bass), Chris Minh Doky (double bass), Steve Jansen (percussion, loops, cymbals), Ged Lynch (drums), Skoota Warner (drums), Talvin Singh (tabla and percussion), Steve Tibbetts (gong), Ingrid Chavez (vocals) and Shree Maa (vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon with another album from David, one of my favorites, and the music is sublime and this is one sweet album!

12 Likes

Nico - The End

3 Likes

Ute Lemper - Punishing Kiss

7 Likes