What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Superb collection of recordings made between 1938 and 1943. Incredible piano virtuosity from Nat and stunning guitar from Oscar Moore:

12 Likes

Glad you like it :slight_smile: Prog is a slippery slope… If you want to explore further, try listening to some Marillion (Seasons End, Afraid of Sunlight or Marbles) or No Man (Flowermouth or Returning Jesus). These albums would be a good place to further explore the ‘art rock’ side of progressive music.

1 Like

Airbag - A Day at the Beach

I’m currently listening to this on Qobuz after seeing it mentioned a couple of times on this thread. I recall it was described as progressive, art rock, which I think describes it quite well. It’s rather like Porcupine Tree, so probably not one for Tony, although there’s Gilmour-like guitar on show. It’s a bit lightweight for me these days. My teddy bear’s not too keen on the cover shot either.

Edit: it’s growing on me!

7 Likes

James Taylor and The Original Flying Machine - 1967

5 Likes

Santana - Shangó
Album 13 From the Columbia Studio Albums Collection

13 Likes

Airbag - Identity

Another one from Qobuz. Airbag could be an interesting discovery…

6 Likes

Hope you guys aren’t all melting in the heat. Haven’t played this for years Iron and Wine Kiss Each Other Clean.

7 Likes

Beth Nielsen Chapman - Sand And Water

9 Likes

Enjoying this fabulous 5 CD boxset : )

<>

:balloon: :balloon: Happy Birthday Carly! :balloon: :birthday:

born June 25, 1945, in the Bronx, borough of New York City :us:

75 years young Today! :smiley:

15 Likes

Airbag - All Rights Removed

Continuing my exploration of this band. I think the Day at the Beach album is my favourite so far based on one listen, but let’s see how this one goes.

7 Likes

Swiss guitar trio work with David Torn. On CD…

4 Likes

Dave Mason - Let It Flow

2 Likes

This one is my favourite of theirs. I think that the long track at the end, Homesick, is superb with some super Richard Wright-esq keyboards. I also highly recommend the Bjorn Riis solo albums and ep…

2 Likes

Good choice Kevin. Sonar are a great band. Saw them play at the Vortex with Mr Torn and it was exceptional…

1 Like

And some very Gilmouresque guitar playing in that track too.

1 Like

Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol.4. Recently released 4th album in Alva Noto’s Xerrox series (there will be 5).

"Ongoing since 2007, the ‘Xerrox’ volumes have charted sublime new paths for Carsten Nicolai’s solo work. They have witnessed him apply a new depth of harmonic and emotional colour to his more austere early work, and it’s not hard to hear how this palette and way of working has fed into his majestic soundtrack for ‘The Revenent’ with Ryuichi Sakamoto and Bryce Dessner in 2016. The 4th volume finds Nicolai at his most expansive and contemplative, taking in a widescreen vista over 14 parts for a richly satisfying suite of modern, minimalist ambient classical somewhere between Eno and classic FAX releases.

There’s a certain sort of romantic deep space or sci-fi lust to this one, certainly detectable in the gorgeous late Vangelis styles of ‘Xerrox Calypsoid 2’, and sharing a certain retro-futurist wistfulness with Jeff Mills space missions on ‘Xerrox Utopia’, while ‘Xerrox Sans Retour’ and ‘Xerrox Apesanteur’ point toward darker horizons and begs the question why Alva Noto hasn’t scored some moodier hardboiled sci-fi yet."

1 Like

Rod Stewart - Never A Dull Moment

13 Likes

Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

9 Likes

ELP Brain salad surgery.

It was the cover that drew me in. Not really ELP fan although I was impressed by Keith Emerson when I saw him perform at IOW with the Nice. I asked my mate Siri to play it this morning while I prepared breakfast. Not ideal I know. Shorter than I expected it to be. Will give it another listen.

9 Likes

As you’d expect there have been a few posts of this above. I’m really enjoying it. It’s amazing that he can still write such good music after all these years.

10 Likes