What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Following @AndyP PIL selection earlier…
Former tube driver and PIL bassist Jah Wobble…

Its dub Jim!, but not as we know it…
:heart:

7 Likes

10 Likes

Ah! Cheers Geoff, someone was discussing the Crusaders (might have been the vinyl thread)
I mentioned I had a MoFi LP of Joe Sample and should fish it out, I forgot but now you’ve given me a timely reminder (and I couldnt remember the title)

It says Half Speed Lacquer cut by Stan Ricker and notably it’s a lighter weight pressing than the 180/200g “heavyweight” pressing that seems to be de rigueur for so called audiophile pressings these days.

5 Likes

You could have had a double bonus points with two PIL bass players Laswell and Wobble

4 Likes

Now your on! :+1:

3 Likes

Eagles | Unplugged 1994
I’m sure that I’ll get around to listening to Jackson Browne’s new one anon but for the moment playing this one where JB co-wrote Peaceful Easy Feeling…

8 Likes

Bill Laswell meets Style Scott (Roots Radics & later Dub Syndicate Bands)

Dub Meltdown

Stripped back “dub” with just Bill’s Bass and Style’s Drumming accompanied by Capt. Kowatchi (who?) percussion and loops and samples.

3 Likes

Blondie.

14 Likes

This should keep you quiet for a while :smiley:

Funkcronomicon - Axiom Funk

4 Likes

Followed by Bill Laswell’s experimental and controversial (caused quite a stir amongst the Reggae and Bob Marley fraternity, particularly as Bob’s vocals are completely abscent) ambient dub treatment of BMW.

Bob Marley Dreams Of Freedom - Ambient Translations Of Bob Marley In Dub

3 Likes

Will need to chill after that, with the above :joy:

1 Like

The Beatles - The Beatles Ballads, on early UK vinyl. A pretty good sounding compilation, especially considering how many tracks crammed per side. Big fan of John Byrne who did the cover painting of The Fabs.

10 Likes

Thanks @YetiZone I’ve not seen this one before.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that John Byrne painted album covers (including fellow Paisleyite Gerry Rafferty). I know him best as a playwright – Slab Boys, Tutti Frutti, Your Cheatin’ Heart. He’s also the father of Tilda Swinton’s twins.

1 Like

11 Likes

Triggered by @Dreadatthecontrols and @AndyP another slice of Wobbledom - his East meets West album Heaven & Earth on CD. Includes the stunning 15 minute Laswell produced Gone to Croatan with Pharaoh Sanders and members of Funkadelic on drums & keys.

8 Likes

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols

That looks like a nice MOFI. I still have my mint UK LP copy of Rainbow Seeker - MCL 1624 on the disc, ABCL 5245 on sleeve. Sides are stamped MCL 1624 A1 and B1, with other details ‘scratched’ out. No turntable to play it on now but I remember it sounds great! :+1:

3 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed.

22 Likes

Yes, he did quite a few album covers in the 70s and 80s - funnily enough I knew him as painter first.

1 Like