What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Alfa Mist is one of the driving forces behind a young and vibrant scene of UK musicians, who’ve taken on jazz as their musical narrative. On his new album Bring Backs the producer, self-taught pianist and rapper takes us on a sonic trip back to his beat-making past on the streets of East London, through the depth and musicality he discovered composing and playing jazz. 2017 saw the release of Alfa’s breakthrough record, Antiphon and the 2019’s album Structuralism were both self-released on his Sekito label. His latest endeavour, 2021’s Bring Backs, sees Alfa taking on new challenges.

6 Likes

As somebody says in a YouTube comment about Floor Jansen
“She could sing the phone book and it would still sound incredible.”

Those lyrics get me every time I hear them, especially when the Darwin’s last paragraph is added

There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers
Having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one
And that whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity
From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been
And are being, evolved

Interestingly that is the only time the verb evolved is used. Evolution is not used at all in The of Origin Species.

That’s decision made for first listen of today

Nightwish - Vehicle of Spirit Live at Wembley

Includes the immortal line “I’ve wanted to say this since I was 9 years old “Good evening Wembley””

6 Likes

Buck Owens & The Buckaroos - Buckaroo

1 Like

Eels Shootenanny

“Everybody knows these a rock hard times”

10 Likes

Buck Owens - Together Again

1 Like

Lee Ritenour + Larry Carlton Larry and Lee / 1995 GRP / Germany CD / GRP98172

6 Likes

Nightwish, endless forms most beautiful. I don’t usually play this loud because my wife doesn’t like music too loud. But so many mentioned Nightwish today I am going to risk it! :wink:

5 Likes

1st run

Back when we first started the lab in the mid 80’s we used the mezzanine level above the offices of a precision engineering works
The engineering lads used an old record player and had on rotation 6 records
Pink Floyd’s Dark SOTM
Dire Straits Alchemy
Led Zep IV
and 3 others I can’t remember

We were in that unit for 6 years I haven’t been able to listen to those albums since.
A link in the Music Chain prompted me to give this a go

Dire Straits - Alchemy

23 Likes

Willy DeVille - Victory Mixture

8 Likes

Antonio Forcione Dedicato / 1996 naim / Austria CD / naimcd013

11 Likes

On CD……

18 Likes

Whitey Johnson - More Days Like This
Great tunes from the blues legend who is the fictitious Whitey Johnson.

3 Likes

Great little joys of holidays…11 am and listening to music… :smiley:
On SHM Platinum CD

20 Likes

Diana Krall, the look of love. This is a fav for wife and I. May be she will come out of hiding after Nightwish. :joy:

18 Likes

Habibi Funk : An eclectic selection of music from the Arab world (volume 2)

Habibi Funk is not a monographie of popular arabic music, but an exhumation of unknown, or less famous, titles and artists from the 70’s and 80’s.
If you want to travel, you could be delight. It’s an eclectic opus : Algeria O.S.T, Libyan reggae, Egyptian Organ, disco from Morocco, political songs for Liban, Kenyan Rythm & blues…

Ps. In the Arab world, most of the time the substantif “Arab” doesn’t refer to an ethnicity, it’s more about linguistic and cultural identification.

1 Like

David Bowie - ChangesNowBowie
RSD 2020 cd release, stripped back recordings taken from rehearsals for his 50th birthday concert at MSG.

14 Likes

Diana Krall When I look in your eyes / 1999 Verve / US CD / IMPD304

@davidng DK playing here now too.

20 Likes

1st run

4 Likes