What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

David Bowie - Station to Station - vinyl

24 Likes

2 Likes

Computer Love/ The Model 12” single - Kraftwerk

11 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup, playing a nice early CBS cd with good sq. Last year’s remix would be interesting, but I don’t like how modern Stones releases sound.

21 Likes

Wuppertal, Germany
December 2010
SACD on BIS

cover photo depicts the start of building a fortepiano

The whole cycle from Brautigam and Willens is a very refreshing change from the usual suspects…

9 Likes

Cant help wondering about the irony, even hypocrisy in that idea?
Anyway…
:heart:

I see that the album received a very favourable review in of all things the “Sporting Pink” (UK financial paper).

1 Like

Kicking back and kicking off the weekend with this pretty crucial Reggae Roots n Culture selection on Tidal Masters.
It’s good, check it out n crank it up!
Trials And Crosses
20210123_162722

https://tidal.com/mix/0145e1f7736cd4547fcd1c707a3551

Thanks for telling us Todd I would never have guessed! Never heard of Ronald Brautigam, but that would not be the first time with BIS and they always find amazing talent

Claude

1 Like

Prompted by the local radio station playing Wuthering Heights

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

19 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to this one since it was announced. Soul Jazz Records’ Experiments in Latin Music 75-81.

4 Likes

Just checking email in the study with this playing from a unitiserve via the cb 250. Almost relaxing.

download

16 Likes

GF Handel, Chandos Anthems. The Choir of Trinity College Cambridge / Orchestra of the Age of Enlightment, Stephen Layton. Hyperion CD.

Thomas Hobbs, tenor
Susan Gritton, soprano
Iestyn Davies, countertenor

Those anthems were written for a much smaller ensemble, and they are one of the few religious music works of chamber music size I know. Layton succeeds at maintaining the intimate and immediate contact with the much larger Orchestra of the Age of the Enlightment, and the three solo singers excel, starting with tenor Thomas Hobbs.

Hyperion sound quality is a wonder of balance between detail and living presence. A great album in all aspects.

StephenLaytonOrchestraOfT49122_f

Claude

9 Likes

Again one great musician gone…

Great! I saw that on my Juno mail out yesterday, hows it sounding?
Theres a great tune out there somewhere I havent been able to find, cant remember the Cuban artist but it’s a wicked version of T Rex Children Of The Revolution.
Thanks for the tip re Madlib, one for me to check out
Viva La Revolucion comrade

1 Like

Pink Floyd - Meedle - Vinyl Remastered 2016

23 Likes

@TheKevster
Just a quick off topic heads up re the Node 2i if your interested.
You might remember mentioning that the Bluos app can be a bit buggy and I found the Tidal integration to not always work properly when “favouriting” selections.
This morning I accidentally discovered that if you download and use the Tidal app, you can bypass the Bluos app. Its called Tidal Connect. Play a selection in the Tidal app, press the icon to the bottom left of the screen and it gives an option to “play on this device” ie your phone or “Node 2i” select the latter and it plays the Bluesound without using Bluos. There are some features on the Tidal app that dont appear with its integration on the Bluos, so worth checking out.
:+1:

3 Likes

10 Likes

Onto disc 2 now, it’s really good. Some great finds, acts that are completely new to me. As with some other Soul Jazz comps, I like that some artists are represented here by more than one song. Some amazing sounds and songs abound.

The Cuban TRex cover sounds an great. Let me know if you track it down. I’ll have a trawl, too.

Let us know what you think of Madlib when you get around to it.

Peace and out!

1 Like

Hi Alan
What do you not like about the modern releases? I am very happy with remastered sticky fingers and some girls and also a bigger bang.
Grateful for your views
Happy listening either way!