What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Mark Knopfler

Mark Knopfler Guitar, Vocals), Richard Bennett (Guitar), Jim Cox (Hammond organ, Piano), Chad Cromwell (Drums), Guy Fletcher (Keyboards and Glenn Worf (Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @Alanp above had me place in the queue and now taking out for a spin and Mark and the band are sounding mighty sweet! Saw the film years ago but first time taking the soundtrack out for a spin…

11 Likes

5 Likes

Dire Straits debt self titled album

28 Likes

To start the day…

Sting - 1991 The Soul Cages

Happy 70th birthday Sting!

13 Likes

Now Playing…

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All The Roadrunning

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… after a wonderful day, going to spend a bit of time with Emmylou and Mark and they are sounding mighty sweet! They have not been out for a spin for awhile and a lovely way to close out the day…

18 Likes

Time for one more before the rugby, Jet - Get Born. For some strange reason this always makes me think of Amsterdam.

9 Likes

I’m not bothered at all. The FLAC files have all the data embedded and the only thing missing from WAV is the artist. That said all the albums appear in ‘Folder - Artist’ where they should be, so it’s really no inconvenience.

G

1 Like

Cant think of a better saturday morning record.

14 Likes

Back in the dim and distant past when I had my LP12 I was in Audio Centre Sheffield auditioning an Ittok and my parents had booked a demo for a RP3 Creek Amps and Linn Indexx speakers.

I will never forget my father’s reaction to Hello Again from that album - stunned silence and tears.
(I even think it sounded better than the LP12 Ittok)

It has been on my audition playlist ever since.

(Ps The dealer had a good day that day sold Ittok and the full system my father listened to)

1 Like

Sting Rushing Water
Celebrating his birthday with something from his next release The Bridge

7 Likes

2 Likes

Sting - 1993 Ten Summoner’s Tales

You’ll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You’ll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in fields of gold…

16 Likes

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart
Cd from the 2021 remastered 6cd box set, The Studio Albums 1996-2007

19 Likes

Neil Young, Carnegie Hall. Pressing is absolutely perfect and the sound is first class. It’s like a greatest hits all in one!

20 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Ewen.

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star
Like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are
How fragile we are

Sting - 2001 All This Time

10 Likes

This is a beautiful album and I highly recommend it. Kind of Indian influenced jazz trio. Here’s some blurb:

One Morning In Gurgaon, a beautifully spontaneous collaboration between acclaimed South African guitarist Guy Buttery and Indian master musicians Mohd. Amjad Khan and Mudassir Khan. One Morning In Gurgaon was inspired by the trio’s shared appreciation of the musical wonders and landscapes of the subcontinent.

Guy Buttery, an internationally recognised guitar innovator, enjoys invitations to play sell-out performances all over the globe.

It was whilst Guy was embarking on his 2019 tour of India, as part of a trio with the highly acclaimed Indian classical musicians Mohd. Amjad Khan and Mudassir Khan, that the seed was sown for One Morning In Gurgaon.

Remarkably, all three musicians had never met before, let alone made any music together, and before their first concert, they had only “practised” via voice recordings and exchanged texts somewhere between Hindi and English to break down the various parts of the set.

Ultimately it was this unrehearsed approach combined with the inauspicious and eleventh-hour nature of their first meeting which provided the stardust for this collaboration as Guy explains, “Due to Delhi traffic, our intended dry run was shaved right down to a single 60 minutes giving us just enough time to shake hands, share a chai and tune our instruments. As a result, we went in totally blind to that first concert yet what unfolded on stage over the next hour left me in complete awe. So much so that after our performance I immediately set about asking anyone who would listen, how we could track down a local studio to capture our newly formed trio. As luck would have it, the very place where we had performed that first night had a basic recording set-up and we somehow managed to secure a single morning to record.”

Superb!

4 Likes

Annie Lennox - Nostalgia

9 Likes

Added some albums of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and other due to Linn Sale on Qobuz…1st run

6 Likes

Intriguing new album, 1st run