What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

At a loose end pre late football kick off. Thought I’d try this out. Superb

The Who Sell Out is quite a noisy Who record. This is an even noisier Who record. The Who are always at their best when they are making a godawful racket.

24 Likes

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond

11 Likes

Miserable out. Happy tunes to brighten up the indoors!!!

4 Likes

18 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :+1:t3: :notes:

9 Likes

Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (Decca 2LP)

Enjoying this 2LP compilation from the Decca British Jazz Explosion Series.
Mastered and Cut in conjunction with the always superb Gearbox Records.

Nice taste wetting entree to the other titles so far

LP1 SIDE A1
Ken Wheeler and the John Dankworth Orchestra | Don The Dreamer
2Don Rendell Quintet | A Matter Of Time
3Collin Bates Trio | Brew
4John Surman, John Warren | With Terry’s Help
LP1 SIDE B
1Michael Garrick Sextet | Second Coming
2Mike Westbrook Concert Band | Waltz (for Joanna)
3Stan Tracey And His Big Band | Matinee Days
4Harry Beckett | Third Road
LP2 SIDE A
1Neil Ardley, Ian Carr, Don Rendell | Greek Variations: VI Kriti [edit]
2The New Jazz Orchestra | Angle
3Alan Skidmore Quintet | Old San Juan LP2 SIDE B
1Dick Morrissey Quartet | Storm Warning
2Mike Taylor Quartet | To Segovia
3Michael Gibbs | Some Echoes, Some Shadows

:heart:

7 Likes

The live doubles day continues.

G

12 Likes

9 Likes

Holy crap, it’s Rush! UK first pess vinyl.

15 Likes

On vinyl… :grin: :sunglasses: :notes:

6 Likes

22 Likes

Sting Sister Moon

Celebrating the Birthday of Sting with another recent performance, again with David Sanborn.

6 Likes

Foy Vance - Hope

Because this is a long time favourite of mine.

Just wonderful stuff.

9 Likes

Paul McCartney - McCartney 2. CD rip. Perhaps not Macca’s finest, but an interesting listen in relation to the recent McCartney 3. Also contains Temporary Secretary, which, much as I love the dude, I think is his low point - the photo of his bemused expression on the album cover was just after Temp Secretary was first played back to him…

9 Likes

You jest Kev?! “Temporary Secretary” is one of his best-ever tracks. And McCartney II is one of his best albums IMO, up there with his first one and BOTR.

4 Likes

18 Likes

Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates

Engrossing, engaging,

20 Likes

From the Remastered In Vinyl IV box, and an album I’ve never got round to playing: In Others’ Words. It’s very spotty, as Kate’s output tends to be. Some of it is touched by genius, some is unlistenable. The Irish trad stuff is diabolically bad, but the covers of “The Man I Love” and “Brazil” are just fantastic.

Given her compositional gifts, I’d much rather hear Kate doing her own songs, but she’s always worth listening to, even when her creative decisions are, as here, baffling (or just plain wrong).

16 Likes

Now playing…

Sting - Ten Summoner’s Tales

Sting (Bass, Vocals), Larry Adler (Chromatic Harmonica, Harmonica), John Barclay (Trumpet), Guy Barker (Trumpet), Sian Bell (Cello), James Boyd (Viola), Vinnie Colaiuta (Drums), Richard Edwards (Trombone), Simon Fischer (Violin), Paul Franklin (Pedal Steel), Dave Heath (Flute), Dominic Miller (Guitar), Mark Nightingale (Trombone), Brendan Power (Chromatic Harmonica, Harmonica), David Sancious (Keyboards) and Kathryn Tickell (Fiddle, Northumbrian Smallpipes).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Saturday morning with Sting and joining in the celebration of Sting’s Birthday! …and Sting and the Band are sounding mighty sweet!

16 Likes