What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Nice restrained version

3 Likes

Now playing…

Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky

Mark Knopfler (Guitar, Vocals), Richard Bennett (Guitar), Richard Rodney Bennett (Guitar), Danny Cummings (Drums), Phil Cunningham (Accordion), Guy Fletcher (Keyboards, String Arrangements), Rupert Gregson-Williams (French Horn), John McCusker (Cittern, Violin), Michael McGoldrick (Flute, Whistle, Human Whistle), Matt Rollings (Keyboards) and Glenn Worf (Electric Bass, Upright Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Monday morning with Mark’s ‘Get Lucky’ and he and the band are sounding mighty sweet! A lovely way to kick off the day and the week…

18 Likes

Bai Kamara Jr & The Voodoo Sniffers - Salone

Otis Taylor - Hey Joe Opus - Red Meat

Christone ‘Kingfish’ Ingram - Kingfish

A bountiful bevy of blues belters to bewitch and beguile beholders.

14 Likes

Swamp Dogg - Rat On (Tidal)

A surprising (and a stand out) inclusion on the Woody Guthrie set above

Just had to check out Rat On!

Rat On! Review

by Richie Unterberger

The cover of this LP–Swamp Dogg riding a white rat, hands raised and fists clenched in triumph–lets you know that you’re not in for any ol’ R&B record, even before the needle hits the grooves. It’s a satisfying continuation of the eclectic soul-singer-songwriter mix of his debut. Vocally, Swamp Dogg sounds like a cross between General Johnson (of Chairmen of the Board) and Van Morrison; as a songwriter, he’s his own man. With the exception of Sly Stone, no other soul men of the period were investigating controversial topics with such infectious musicality and good humor. He takes on promiscuity with unbridled frankness in cuts like “Predicament #2,” and bemoans the eternal delay of American justice for minorities in “Remember I Said Tomorrow,” and twists Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” into a protest song (and also, bizarrely, covers the Bee Gees’ “Got to Get a Message to You”). None of this endeared him to industry insiders, and Swamp Dogg was dropped by Elektra after the album’s release. It’s long been out of print, but in the U.K. Charly has reissued it on CD on a two-fer with Total Destruction of Your Mind.

Vocally, Swamp Dogg sounds like a cross between General Johnson (of Chairmen of the Board) and Van Morrison;
and Jackie Wilson too to my ears

:heart:

7 Likes

Prince - Dirty Mind.

9 Likes

The Bird’s Nest Centenary Edition, pressed on lurid yellow viny.

10 Likes

Fink | Bloom Innocent | 2019
Mr. Fin Greenall up to his usual high standards here.

7 Likes

Miles Davis - Big Fun

One of several albums which came out of the Jack Johnson sessions. Some of Miles’s most jazz-rock fusion albums.

11 Likes

Loretta Lynn, Still Woman Enough. Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

4 Likes

Keb’ Mo’ - Keb’ Mo’

I am guilty of overplaying this in the past. Having come back to it after some time, sounding fresh again.

19 Likes

Bruckner 4 was played at the first (or one of the first) live symphony orchestra recital I heard. Has always had a special place in my heart. (Along with Mahler 2).

I honour of that memory

Gergiev - Bruckner Symphony 4 Munchner Philharmoniker

6 Likes

Mrs H back home and has brought some special west coast fillet steaks. She’s insisted on cooking and I’m in heaven.

G

9 Likes

Enjoy !! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thompson Twins - Into the Gap.

8 Likes

First play for this…

21 Likes

Enjoy…’louder’…and what does Neil do?

G

1 Like

The Grateful Dead Live at Fox Theatre 1971.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle.

11 Likes

Jackie Wilson - The Greatest Hits (BMG Ariola/Linn Selekt LP)

Thinking Swamp Dogg on Rat On! had quite a resemblance in his voice to Jackie Wilson…

Songs like Higher And Higher especially get me moving along with those hairs and spine tingles, what a song, what a voice what a tune!

:heart:

9 Likes