What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

11 Likes

Lee Ritenour - Dreamcatcher
Recorded at home during the covid pandemic, helps to make this a very intimate and enjoyable album.

7 Likes

For which I am grateful! Harry is one of the most unusual blues/folk artists around.

7 Likes

Dr Feelgood - Singles The U. A. Years
Great collection of Feelgood tunes

12 Likes

Yes, Stephen i have been enjoying this as well, he unfortunately does not tour anymore but is still great in the studio.

1 Like

Blues Company - Take the Stage
A great live album from Germany’s finest blues band.

2 Likes

Bobby Hutcherson ‎– Happenings / 1986 Blue Note / Limited Edition Japan CD / CP325217

Playing this following my spin of ‘Oblique’ yesterday - more cool vibes from BH.

Vibraphone Bobby Hutcherson
Piano Herbie Hancock
Bass Bob Cranshaw
Drums Joe Chambers

9 Likes

Great link, thanks.

I watched a few of their videos and checked out their website - they are excellent. Superb musicians, quality cover versions and tight as hell. I will be checking out their YouTube channel on a regular basis. Great find.

I wonder if @Pete_the_painter is aware of them, although they are in Adelaide.

1 Like

Rory Gallagher - Check Shirt Wizard Live in '77

Great live guitar performances by RG on this! :+1:

9 Likes

Fantastic selection of Dubs from Tubbs,
King Tubby The Dub Master, great to see this available on a Tidal Master.
Compilation of crucial dubs to Augustus Pablo, Horace Andy, Dennis Brown, Johnny Clarke, Cornell Campbell, Bunny Lee, Niney The Observer et al, absolutely essential.
It’s no exaggeration to say that Osbourne Ruddock aka King Tubby literally invented the idea of dub and remixing which went on to influence the world of dance music and beyond outernationally.
He started as an electronics repair man fixing TV’s etc, then started building amplifiers hand winding his own coils for power supplies and eventually building his own sound system King Tubby’s Home Town HiFi that featured the great U Roy on the mic. He built a small voicing and dub (acetate) cutting studio at his home in the notorious Waterhouse district of Kingston.
According to legend he invented dub by accident whilst cutting an acetate for producer Bunny Lee, he accidentally left off the vocal track and when the acetate was played back on the sound system sans vocal the crowd reaction went wild. He built a reverb and echo unit to enhance the effect on the sound system and dub was born.
Producers flocked to that tiny studio to get Tubbs to cut exclusive dubs of their tunes which also brought about the idea of Sound Clash’s where sound systems would compete to have exclusive “cuts” on dub plate of popular tunes. The DJ remix from disco and modern dance music forms can be traced right back to King Tubby’s house on Dromilly Avenue in Waterhouse.
As the music started to change with the “Digital” sound, Tubby had just completed building a new studio with a voicing booth up in the roof rafters! He started releasing some cutting edge “Digital” Dancehall Riddims including the massive Anthony Red Rose Tempo. Collected on the terrific Pressure Sounds compilation Firehouse Revolution.
Then one night arriving home he was senslessly shot dead by a gunman who’s motivation appeared to be nothing more than to rob Tubbs of his gold chain.
I remember feeling a shiver down my spine and profound sadness when David Rodigan reported the murder on his Capital Radio Roots Rockers On A Saturday Night Show.
RIP and massive respect due Osbourne Ruddock
20210126_124359
20210126_131412

:heart:

8 Likes

Inspired by @Dreadatthecontrols:

8 Likes

Queen
2011 remastered Cd from Hollywood Records 40th anniversary box set.

9 Likes

My late uncle worked with Joe for a fair few years in the gas board in Sheffield said he was a very nice fella,he used to go and support him in the clubs around Sheffield before he got his big break

2 Likes

Great, quirky band. Worth exploring their impressive back cat. Always evolving and or refining their particular sound.

I first discovered them when I was walking around Jumbo Records, Leeds about a decade ago, and asked what was playing. It was their Bend Beyond album. Been a fan since then.

1 Like

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Such a great album and recording

21 Likes

How about a little Wednesday afternoon rub up the wallpaper with the one you love.
Focus on Mad Professor’s Lovers Rock Productions for some lockdown niceness!
20210126_135907
:heart:

4 Likes

Thomas - Hamlet - LPO/Antonio de Almeida

7 Likes

Almost 50 years to the day since I first heard Bitches Brew. Then girlfriend’s father said “you like music come and hear some new Jazz”. Jeez no I thought not Acker feckin Bilk! How wrong I was - my jumping-off point for Jazz exploring back and forwards.

Listening on the original vinyl bought a few weeks later and dipping into the complete sessions cd box set.

20 Likes

Big fan of the Go-Betweens here in SoFlo. I couldn’t pick a favourite album, but my choice of song is still Cattle and Cane.

1 Like