What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Nice post rummage re discovery

Lau - Race The Loser/Ghosts EP (Diverse Records/Reveal 2012 ?)

Lau have been described as a formidable union of three of the finest and most innovative exponents of modern traditional music in Scotland today; Kris Drever (guitar and vocal), Martin Green (piano accordion) and Aidan O’Rourke (fiddle).

It’s good!
:heart:

4 Likes

Is that one of the coloured variants, if so hope you got a good un :+1:

20 Likes

It is and I’m lucky, vinyl is silent and flat, a few crackles but relatively minor

1 Like

Lizz Wright - The Orchard

What a voice!

16 Likes

The Beatles - Abbey Road

26 Likes

That’s good! Some grumbles typically about the coloured pressings on Discogs, my Black copy is perfect and somehow I got sent 2 more that arrived this morning :thinking:

1 Like

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Texas Flood, on an early uk pressing.

18 Likes

Did my Oxfam volunteering today - lots of easy listening stuff to go to the good people that take our unsold/unsellable books, CDs and vinyl. Saw the yellow golden guinea top stripe and cheeky chappie on the cover and was about to put it on the exit pile when I thought, Davy Graham? Surely not that Davy Graham? Blow me it is - so cleaned up and playing at home to check quality. It’s fine - on sale next week.

5 Likes

Taste - On the Boards.

11 Likes

It’s too late to stop now……

18 Likes

Al Di Meola | Electric Rendezvous | 1982
Because I’m enjoying spending time digging deep into the library and finding out what I have and haven’t got… ADM has been one of those artists I’ve been re-enjoying recently after many decades.

5 Likes

The Chieftains - A Chieftains Celebration - original U.K. vinyl
Masterful playing of Irish trad music, this was their celebration of their 25th anniversary (it says on their website although I reckon it was released 27 years into their career), they managed another 30 years as great exemplars of Irish traditional players, always great on stage as well as on record. Their founder member Paddy Moloney left us yesterday, RIP Paddy.

12 Likes

Another super album from Daniel Romano - Cobra Poems. (that’s DR on the right).

Some great songwriters around these days.

5 Likes

Amos Lee - Amos Lee

:slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Bloodrock.

1 Like

Bellowhead - Hedonism (Navigator LP 2010)

Not listened to Bellowhead in a while!

Does what it says really, great entertaining Hedonistic Folk fusion, get the beers in!

Hedonism Review

by Jon O’Brien

Arguably the most rock & roll outfit on the contemporary folk scene, 11-piece collective Bellowhead’s knack of blending punk, funk, jazz, and cabaret with centuries-old ballads and sea shanties couldn’t be more removed from the winsome fare of the in vogue no-folk brigade. Produced by John Leckie (Radiohead, Stone Roses), their third album, Hedonism, continues to blur the boundaries on 11 imaginative reworkings of traditional standards which prove that British folk can be as exhilarating as it can be melancholic. Opener “New York Girls” sets the tone immediately with its array of jaunty fiddles and frenzied percussion providing a suitably upbeat backdrop for Jon Boden’s antiquated pirate-esque tones, and is followed by possibly their greatest interpretation to date, “A-Begging I Will Go,” whose funky guitar licks and Stax horns turns the 17th century classic into something that could have been the theme tune to a Blaxploitation film. Elsewhere, “Yarmouth Town” is given a breathless jazz club workout; the instrumental “Cross-Eyed and Chinless” cleverly drifts from accordion-led Morris dance to seductive tango; while the mournful child ballad, “Cold Blows the Wind” is virtually unrecognizable as a brass-led vaudeville show stopper. The radical transformations don’t always come off quite so effortlessly, particularly “Little Sally Racket,” a chaotic and discordant fusion of manic surf rock riffs, anarchic vocals, and frantic punk rhythms. But while the sinister waltz of Jacques Brel’s “Amsterdam,” the haunting Scottish balladry of “Captain Wedderburn,” and the slow-burning cinematics of “Broomfield Hill” show the band can enthrall even when they slow down the pace, Hedonism is at its most triumphant when it lives up to its name.

:heart:

7 Likes

Now playing…

Alela Diane - Live at the Map Room

Alela Diane (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar), Heather Woods Broderick (Vocals, Piano, Cello, Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Percussion) and Mirabai Peart (Vocals, Viola, Bass Synth, Recorder, Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Tuesday morning with this fabulous album released last April and Alela, Heather and Mirabai are sounding sublime! Well worth the time to give a spin…

6 Likes

You’re pandering to the kids vote. What about his production masterpieces for Roy Harper, Kevin Ayers, Be Bop Deluxe, Syd Barrett and Barclay James Harvest.

1 Like

Not me guv, I didnt write the review :grin:

1 Like