What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

The Amazing Nina Simone | 1959
That voice sounding wonderful

10 Likes

What about those old farts anyway? :wink:

Van Morrison & The Chieftains - An Irish Heartbeat - original vinyl
Sneaking in another side of music before heading out*, a great collaboration between Irish legends. Fantastic playing of Irish trad folk classics by the Chieftains, and Van adds characteristic vocals. A wonderful album.
*The friends I’m meeting tonight arrived in town on their narrow boat this evening, and are just dealing with water that got during the lock transitions, so we’re meeting half an hour later than planned. :grinning:

13 Likes

Julie Felix - Clotho’s Web (1972)

Bought this mainly for the cover and backing musicians: Big Jim Sullivan, John-Paul Jones, Davey Johnstone, Cozey Powell, Danny Thompson, Rabbit Bundrick.

4 Likes

22 Likes

BBC Transcription Services CD of New Order’s Reading 1993 gig. I was at this, it was a great show. Apparently they split up straight afterwards, and were not seen or heard of for five years…

9 Likes

Tom Petty, Hard Promises. Vinyl. Linn Sondek LP12.

11 Likes

Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out.

7 Likes

The Stone Roses (Silvertone 20th Anniversary Edition LP)

One for the kids! Prompted by @AndyP :wink:

Mad for it!
:heart:

15 Likes

Now one for the grown ups.

10 Likes

Alison Krauss | Forget About It | 1999
Following on from Nina Simone but in a totally different style and sound, this is another voice that I love to listen to.

17 Likes

Toto - Hydra.

6 Likes

Touche! :joy:
You piqued my curiosity re John Leckie as producer, I’m out of my depth here but according to Wiki John Leckie had a hand in studio engineering with the artists you mentioned, however Wiki cites his production work starting later in 76 with Be Bop Deluxe Sunburst Finish.
:heart:

9 Likes

Just bought this one in the eclassical daily deals, have also the other one with the other suites…

6 Likes

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, early pressing, gatefold and working zipper on the Warhol sleeve, although this vinyl copy not in the best shape - would like to try the remaster at some point.

20 Likes

Now playing…

The Chieftains - An Irish Evening

Paddy Moloney (Pipe, Tin Whistle, Uillean Pipes), Derek Bell (Harp, Keyboards, Timbales, Tiompan), Jean Butler (Dancer), Kevin Conneff (Bodhran, Drums, Vocals), Clive Cuthbertson (Bass), Roger Daltrey (Vocals), Dave Early (Drums), Martin Fay (Fiddle, Guitar), Nanci Griffith (Vocals), Seán Keane (Fiddle), Matt Molloy (Flute) and Billy Nichols (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… Rest In Peace Paddy… I had the pleasure to see the Chieftains a few times over the years and it was always a fun and fantastic show! The music was always a favorite on St. Patricks day. There was not many genre of music that they did not cover over the years and always enjoyable! Anyway, one of my favorites… and Paddy and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

8 Likes

Carolyn Wonderland - Tempting Fate
Produced by Dave Alvin

2 Likes

IMHO the best album of the year so far.

Mark Knopfler. Wag the dog(soundtrack)
Excellent but too short album recommended by @AlanP

7 Likes