What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

A spin of my favourite PS song to start the day and celebrate his 80th birthday.

22 Likes

My back copy is probably the worst pressed album I’ve bought. Crackles and loud pops just about all the way through and the needle gets stuck half way through the last track of side one!
Rough Trade are sending another out, fingers crossed as, like many others have stated, it’s very good.

1 Like

Paul Lewis - Haydn: Piano Sonatas Nos. 20, 34, 51 & 52.

3 Likes

Beth Hart, fire on the floor. :blush:

12 Likes

Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin’ Simon.
Joining @Debs with the birthday celebrations :tada:

16 Likes

Hi @Blackstar
That’s a shame, as I mentioned to another poster there are some grumbles on Discogs re the pressing including the serious mistrack at last track side one, hope you get a good un this time round. I have 3 copies here (somehow I ended up with 2 extra!) there all fine and I’m very fussy, I also put all new records through my RCM, only one just has a very slight edge warp but plays fine.

Lady Blackbird on Bandcamp now has more stock of the black LP, maybe a repressing so another option?

(Incidentally one of the comments on Discogs was from a Blackstar, one and the same?)
Atb
:heart:

4 Likes

B.B. King - Milestones of a Blues Legend
Playing cd 5 B.B. King Sings Compositions of Duke Ellington & Others (1960)

13 Likes

Alison Krauss, new favorite. :relaxed:

15 Likes

Hi Endon, I hope you get a good copy, no problems here but some are getting rotten pressings.
I have a feeling that the new stock on Bandcamp could be a re pressing, so be interested to hear how yours is when you get it

Hi @BlueCanary that sounds really interesting but I couldnt see it on Tidal. Did you mean this as a personal suggestion rather than from Tidal itself?
Anyway, cheers!

Stephen Stills.

11 Likes

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years

Birthday boy.

22 Likes

Earthday greetings Clive, have a great day!

Thanks, Dread, but it’s not my birthday, but that of Paul Simon, who’s 80 today.

1 Like

Oh right! :joy: and theres me thinking you were fishing for compliments! :wink:

Hi Dread - it was a two track taster (The Lurch and Loosed) from the forthcoming album. It did appear on my Tidal new for you as I regularly listen to (and buy) their stuff.

Hope you find and enjoy. BC

1 Like

Thanks I’ll have another try :+1:
Yes, found them under singles & EP’s
Cheers

Shelley Manne & His Men Vol 1 (OJC/Contemporary LP)

Some cool West Coast Swing to start the day, fresh and Azure sky outside, this seems to fit well with the chilled morning vibe.
Nice mint condition OJC LP too

Drummer Shelly Manne’s first sessions for Contemporary contain plenty of definitive examples of West Coast jazz. This CD has four titles apiece from a 1953 septet date with altoist Art Pepper, Bob Cooper on tenor, baritonist Jimmy Giuffre, and valve trombonist Bob Enevoldsen, four from a few months later with Bud Shank in Pepper’s place, and four other songs from 1955 when Manne headed a septet with altoist Joe Maini and Bill Holman on tenor in addition to Giuffre and Enevoldsen. With arrangements by Marty Paich (who plays piano on the first two dates), Giuffre, Shorty Rogers, Bill Russo, Holman, and Enevoldsen, the music has plenty of variety yet defines the era, ranging from Russo’s “Sweets” (a tribute to trumpeter Harry “Sweets” Edison), Giuffre’s “Fugue,” and the Latin folk tune “La Mucura” to updated charts on older swing tunes. Highly recommended and proof (if any is really needed) that West Coast jazz was far from bloodless.

4 Likes

Randy Newman - Sail Away.

5 Likes

The Truth According to Ruthie Foster

8 Likes